How much should I be feeding my chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KelseyLynn

Are there certain measurements of pellets she should be getting per day based on her age? I know she should have unlimited hay, but how many tablespoons/cups of pellets per day? She is 11 weeks old as of today.

Unlimited is fine. If you notice her pellets or hay is low, then top them both back up :)

I free feed mine as well since she is only 14 weeks old. She eats about 1.5 - 2 tablespoons of pellets daily, and a good amount of hay.

I usually give her a tablespoon in the morning and add another tablespoon before I go to bed every night. There is usually some leftovers the next morning. I prefer giving her just a little bit more than what she can eat, and refill frequently, so that she gets fresh pellets every day and night.

Just try, say, 2 tablespoons, and see how much is left the next day, and you'll get an idea of how much your chin can eat per day.

Same here I also free feed but I find the perfect amount for my boy is a 1/4 cup scoop into his bowl every morning and night. I just got dollar store measuring spoons and use that. Its enough so he has plenty to snack on but not so much that i feel like Im wasting food if it gets stale.

My girls are free fed as well. They have two bowls in their cage and I put approximately 2-3 tablespoons in each bowl. They easily devour 3-4 tablespoons together each day as well as quite a bit of hay. I try to put enough so that they always have food but not enough that they will get a lot of poop in it before I dump it. I typically dump food everyday to every other day as well as refill their water.

Mazuri recommends two tablespoons of pellets per chinchilla per day. Some will eat a bit more than than, some a bit less. Patty can eat twice as much as that, lol.

Generally, I go by that 2 tblsp. rule every day. My pair get 4 tblsps in their big bowl, and Patty gets a double serving, and then my other two single (normal sized) girls get 2tblsps per day in their bowls.

I always dump the old pellets out before refilling, and that way I know they are eating fresh pellets, without any poopies or nasty pee in it.

Yes, sometimes they get goofy and pee in the pellets. <eyeroll>

Back