Chinchillas fighting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhaster

Pablo's Room Mate
I got a new chinchilla a few monthes ago they squeek at each other you know the normal but then my older and bigger grey(pablo) Bit my new chinchilla shadow and drew blood on his toe about 3 weeks ago and now my new chin is scared of my older chinchilla everytime he comes close he starts barking at him i need advice on how to help them get along.

and i know they might never get along so don't borther telling what i already know.

Once one chinchilla has shown aggression it really shouldn't be ever put back into the same cage with that chinchilla. Really, I would never put it with any chinchilla once it's attacked one. Did you go through the normal bonding activities? Have them take turns in each other's cage, joint playtime, sharing a neutral cage for an hour or so? Etc. Chinchillas can't just be put in the same cage and expected to get along. Are they still housed together? Pablo could easily kill Shadow if they continue to be together.

I don't know how to answer this...I'm a little scared because of your last sentence. :huh: It may turn out that you will have to keep them separated...but you already knew that?

Chinchillas have complicated personalities and they can be moody and also they can get really scared when they are presented with new chins. When you just plop two chins in the same cage together there's a good chance that you will end up with the chins being frightened of each other and they may end up fighting. Their instinct is to be highly aware of everything around them and react...an intruder can really set them off.

You have to make them feel safe by distracting them with introductions. One of the techniques I use is to put the chins into a clean carrier so they can get to know each other. There isn't much room so they can't really hurt each other - it takes room to jump up and chase. The carrier usually keeps the whole thing rather sedate. If they really hate each other, they will attack from the beginning so you have to watch closely.

How have you been letting them play? Did the attack occur when you put them in the cage together?

When blood is drawn, separation is the best option for both of them. You can't make chins get along any more than you can make people get along. They could turn on each other at a moment's notice. Since both are clearly unhappy with their current living arrangement, I would separate them immediately. Give them some time to calm down and then try introducing them again...slowly... on neutral ground. They have amazing retention and can hold a grudge for months, so give it as much time as you can. In the meantime, you can use the search feature at the top to research different introduction methods. If you put them together too quickly, that could be the reason they're not getting along now.

Edit: Sorry for the repeat info... looks like we all posted at once. :))

Since the new one recognizes the agressor, I'd firstly spray both chins with catnip (or some soft perfumes) before putting them into a carrier suggested by AZchins. They will be bit confused and perphaps less agressive.
Good luck!

I have two males that after going through introductions, they lived peacefully for a week.... Then one bit the other on the nose. To this day they don't like each other. I have been able to put another chin with each though. I think they just don't like each other, and it isn't that they are aggressive towards all other chins, just one another. Kinda like people. We like certain people and some people we just don't like. Lol.

Since the new one recognizes the agressor, I'd firstly spray both chins with catnip (or some soft perfumes) before putting them into a carrier suggested by AZchins. They will be bit confused and perphaps less agressive.
Good luck!

It's vanilla that's used. Dab on the nose. I don't know about catnip, but don't use perfumes....chins are sensitive to uri's.....using air fresheners around them is even discouraged....

All that being said I probably wouldn't risk trying to reintroduce, I separated a pair immediately once one was physically damaged. Not worth the risk IMO..

Thanks for all your reposonces but the reason the one of the bit i forgot to put in is because he thought it would be fun to scale his cage and they both are protechive of there cages they are fine out side just chasing and some fur flying but no blood sence that happened i will let you all know

i will try and use all of your techneks i like the vanilla

Back