Removing rabbit urine spots from plastic

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sugarmama

I recently purchased a used Ferret Nation. The owner used it to house dwarf rabbits, and there are white spots from their urine. Can anyone help me with the best way to remove these?

The cage will not be used for about 10 days, so I do have plenty of time to use whatever I need to on it, as I can hose it off (or pressure wash) and have it sit outside in the sun for quite some time.

Have you tried soaking it in warm water with soap? I'm not sure if that will help...

LOL Mods, I just realized I posted this in the breeding section. I meant to post it in the housing section. Please feel free to move this thread!

I've tried regular soap and water, and straight vinegar, but that doesn't do the trick. :)

Is this on the plastic pans, or on the metal bars? If it is the plastic pans, I don't think anything will remove the color, but vinegar and water and then lots of time in the sun will sanitize it. Or order bass pans!

Ooh, good thought! Someone in chat mentioned soaking it in straight vinegar, also. I will try the vinegar first, and peroxide if that doesn't work. I will let ya'll know.

Vinegar did the trick :) I let it soak, and then took a scrub brush to get it all out of the crevices. The pans look brand new.

I used peroxide on mine. I also had the white urine stains (though mine were from ferrets). Not everything came off, but some did and I was satisfied in the disinfection of it since I was putting fleece on it.

Back