Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Diet & Nutrition
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Diet & Nutrition Anything to do with the diet or nutrition of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:09 PM United States
furry pet mom

Chinchillas: 1
Default Pumice stone chewing

My chin Remi is a pumice fanatic. I buy him the plain ones and hang one in his cage and he ends up finishing it in about 30 minutes! It seems it is his favorite chew. Problem is I cannot find it here where I live very easily. I bought the natural pumice pieces but he wont touch them. Only the long white ones. Anyone have any suggestions where I can get the long skinny kind in bulk and for a reasonable price?
Here is what they generally look like:
http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...=19-20385567-2

Also should ask if these are OK to give him? I only get the ones that aren't colored (I can find the colored ones easily but don't want to chance poisoning him)
Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Parkerspetchins

I would be afraid that the Sephora pumice may have been treated with something. Seems like your chin likes the harder pumice. I have seen some really hard pumice cubes, I think they are called chew blocks. The lava bites and ledges from SuperPet might be to your chin's liking as well .

http://www.exoticnutrition.com/Chew-Toy-Department.htm

Last edited by Parkerspetchins; 03-16-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:33 PM United States
furry pet mom

Chinchillas: 1

I just put the link in for a sample. The ones I have been buying are from Walmart and they are a buck each.
I bought this one from Vitacost:
http://www.vitacost.com/Earth-Therap...a-Pumice-Stone
But he wont touch it either. Its the hardest one I have found yet and the color kind of threw me. I have seen the chew blocks. Maybe I will try those. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:37 PM United States

Chinchillas: 3+3

Remi will go crazy for them I am sure. I have pumice crazed girl and she is upset when she chews through her lava ledge and loves pumice toys. She just finished destroying a hanging toy she had from Christmas that had lots of rocks on it that were natural from one of the girls on here, Alli.
And Mazie my mixed pit girl that is just a doll
Old 03-16-2009, 09:38 PM
I<3MyChinnies

If you go to the chinchilla chews section of this site, they have some of the best prices on the lava products (pumice products) that I have seen http://rabbitstop.com/chinchillaproducts.shtml My chins LOVE the lava landings and a pack of 2 is only $4.49. The lava bites are great too, but might not last long with your chinnie. Those are only $2.49 for a 3 pack.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 PM United States
Jax Chinchilla Rescue

Chinchillas: 4+R

I really want to try these blocks. My boys used to chew on the natural pumice, but they kinda just got over it. Now it ends up being the only thing left on their toys. I really wish I could find someone who sells them wholesale. The absolute cheapest I found is $1.69 a piece, but that's not counting shipping (which they want $7.00 for 10). Pumice weighs barely anything, so I think the shipping is a little steep.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:16 AM

Chinchillas: 25+

I have never tried the natural pumice. Kind of leary of straying from what I know. My chins love white pumice stones. I buy in bulk form Lone Star Chinchillas
Proud member of MCBA
Old 03-19-2009, 04:42 PM
StarGaz'N

Mine really like the white pumice stone chuncks too. They do not care for the pumice chew blocks (square grey ones you find at pet supply stores) at all.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:02 PM United States
..has a fleece addiction

Chinchillas: 4

Mine all love lava bites. Not so much the white pumice stones.
I would be leary of using the pumice stones like that for taking skin off of people. I would be afraid that it would have been treated with something since it is a bath product and maybe would have something to be antibacterial.
There's no way of knowing so personally I would not give those to my chins. I would buy things made specifically for pets like the lava products.
It's the same reason you don't buy the loofahs in the stores.
Now on Facebook! Become a fan, the more I get the more specials I will post!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:51 AM United States
Kung Fu Chinny!

Chinchillas: ~70

If you really want something your chins will go nuts over and don't mind the cost, the Blue Cloud mine sells chew blocks. They're basically blue cloud in rock form.