Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishellyshel

Chin Slave
does anyone know where i could get Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment
locally?? will a feed store carry this OR petsmart??

one of my boys has some eye irritation since the day before yesterday. he had just dusted, so i thought maybe some got in there but tonight i noticed some redness & a little "goo", like his eye was trying to flush something. just a small bit in the corner, almost looked like a clump of dust from the eye tearing.

i wiped it with a saline solution but i want to try the ointment and see if it clears up.

is there any other course of action I could try??

I checked all the feed stores around me and couldn't find it. I ended up ordering it off Ebay. I keep it on hand in case I run out of the antibiotic drops, though I rarely use it. It's such a pain in the butt.

I get mine at the feed store...I can never find it on my own in the store and always have to ask for it but several around here carry it.

I buy it from Rural King and/or Tractor Supply Co. Not sure if you have any Rural Kings but I'm pretty sure TSC is throughout the U.S. They stopped carrying it for awhile but I talked to an associate the other day and she said they are going to be getting it in again.

I also have a brand new never opened tube here. If you can't find it anywhere else I could send this one to you. I think I paid around $13 for it.

I know it had been on a "manufactures backorder" for a period of time. I don't know if its available again or not.

what drops do you guys use?? i am texting my vet now to see if she can prescribe without seeing.........but not sure if she will.
also are there any other options?? can he take something orally? like tri meth.
i am leaving for bahamas next week and its the first time i am leaving them ALL. i am trying to prevent any problems because my son & xhusband are watching them and i am not sure they are capable of getting one out of the cage to admin meds. of course in an emergency, i do have a backup plan.

I have used gentamycin & tobramycin drops, but didn't have much luck with them. It seems like ointment tends to work better than drops, but that's just from my experience. You should be able to get terramycin in drop form as well.

The dexamethasone is a steriod and should not be used unless a vet has done a fluoroscene stain on the eye to check for ulcers. Dex would make an ulcer alot worse.

I, myself, hate using ointment of any kind. It tends to stick in the fur, trapping dust and shavings and causing more irritation. I use gentocin drops 4 times a day (that's the downside of drops compared to ointment-you have to administer it more often).

Hope that helps
Jessica

I am still having the same problem with Jack. He has had on & off eye issues since last fall. He has no other symptoms, except a small amount of white goo in the corner of his eye. eyes were not closed or swollen or red. started giving the trimeth and just started the terramycin ointment. now his eye is actually more red around and it looks like the hair is lessening. could this be due to the ointment?? up until i started the ointment he was eating his pellets but last night he didnt eat pellets so i made his a bowl of the essentials for life & lifeline in which he ate all of.
i know eye infections are stubborn but what typically causes it to keep coming back. his cage is the cleanest of all because i have a little fleece section that he frequently pees on and i change that every day. none of my other boys have issues so it is not environmental.
before he came to me he was vicously attacked and his is actually missing part of his lip. perhaps there was other damage that is now just showing up?? he has been with me little more than 1 1/2 years. ideas, suggestions?

Has he had x-rays of the head yet? You have to rule out elongation of the upper roots blocking off the tear duct drains that can cause persitant infections. You can have elongation without symptoms so if it was not done I would have it done just to make sure you have a clear picture of the situation.

no dawn i have not taken him for xrays. only because there has never been one other symptom that would indicate tooth issues. no drooling, grinding or even watery eye. it is just this small white drop in the corner of his eye. he dusts a bit more than some of my others (like maybe 4 times a week). and it cleared up for 6 months and now its back again. i think a vet visit is in order tho. thank you. but from past experience do you think the eye is more red and losing hair around because of the terramycin?? i have such a hard time with that stuff. it makes him look SO much worse because it is so greasy that at this point i cant tell if he has a watery eye or its just the ointment. i am going to wipe the area with saline tonight, continue the tri meth and try to see her next week.

Elongation may not show symptoms until well advanced, if there is not malocclusion of the teeth. I just had one that threw me for a loop-from the first sign of problems until death was 45 days, the chins elongation was so advanced that the lower molar advanced to the point it cracked the jaw and the upper molar elongation was also advanced and that is the only reason symptoms showed up was the broken jaw, this was a 1100gm chin who had no eating or chewing issues until sudden drooling and if anyone knows what symptoms to look for its me and I had no fricking clue.

Back