Do their tails come off?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm so i bought my chinchilla from a petstore... (Mistake i know)
Well when i got him they told me not to grab him by the tail or it could come off...
Like just kind of pop off like a iguana or something...
I just remembered her telling me this and i think its a lie but i have to ask just to make sure..
Since ive been typing this i realize how silly it sounded to begin with

No...the tails do not come off. Holding a chinchilla by the base of the tail is actually a safe, secure way to handle your chinchilla.

Being held by tail...tail not coming off...
Picture046.jpg

Completely off the ground upside down and the tail doesn't come off.
Picture049.jpg

Yes, this chin was outside...I don't recommend you do it as I was in a playpen for mere moments while I snapped those pictures a few years back. Natural light inside the house works just as well for inexperienced owners and is much safer for your chinchilla.

Haha, I was told the same thing when I got my first chin. While their tails won't "pop off" like a lizard's tail, you can hurt them if you grab them the wrong way by their tail. Like any other animal with a tail, it can be broken. Grab the chin at the base of the tail and you and the chin should be fine.

Ok so i just learned my chin does not appreciate me holding him like this and i feel terrible i lost a little bit of fur :(
He let me hold him for a minute than freaked out and ran into his cage...
But i wanted to check out his genitals

I was holding his tail but he after a few seconds he squirmed abit so i figured it would be good to let his legs go on my arms well he took that as escape time and started flailing and ran into his cage during the flailing a tiny clump of hair fell to the floor
I dont notice any bald spot it was a tiny bit of hair

Slipping a bit of fur happens. You may not even be able to tell where it came from. Either way, it'll grow back in about 6 wks. If you just got your chin, let him/her settle in for a couple of weeks before even trying to get him/her out for handling. They need time to adjust to an new environment & schedule. When your a new owner, no question is a stupid one - no worries !

Ive had him for three weeks and he loves out of cage play time and he jumps on me and lets me hold him :)
Im very happy thats hes bonded atleast somewhat so quickly

I never have to hold my chins upside down by the tail. If you have them you can use the tail to steady them, but you dont want to just walk around holding them by the tail. (not suggesting anyone HAS done this, but just to clarify as you already have him freaked and fur slipping by it)

When I hold my chins I sometimes have to hold the base of the tail to steady them but their feet or body are supported in my other hand and usually they are up against me.

Yea i didnt walk around i just picked him up a few inches off the ground... I dont plan on grabbing him like that again anytime soon but it was helpful because it put my mind at ease about his genitals

Gripping a chin by the base of its tail is the safest way to carry and hold them, even if you have the chin braced against your chest or on your arms. It prevents them jumping and hurting themselves, and you don't have to worry about breaking ribs by holding too tightly on their chest. Their ribs are like toothpicks.

Yes, because there's a lot more ignorance out there about chinchillas than their is knowledge. Pet store employees usually know next to nothing about the animals they carry.

The keyword here is, by the 'base' of the tail. If you try to catch your chinchilla and grab it by the tip of the tail the tail can break off. If your chin escapes from you and all you can grab is the tip of the tail, don`t try to pull it back by it, part of the tail can actually really come off.
It is safer to just let go and wait until you can get a better grip at the base of the tail.

Claudia

No one ever "plans" on their chin getting out... They are escape artists, and if they are anything like mine, then they love to explore and try to get into trouble.

You can plan on the chin not ever getting loose, but chins don't exactly go along with our own plans all the time. You really need to take a step back, and start listening to the information you've been given instead of having an attitude of "Well that's never going to happen". You need to be willing to learn how to properly handle your chinchilla that is going to allow him to be safest. Yeah, he'll be a little upset at first and may fur slip, but he'll be fine in the long run. Hundreds of people hold thousands of chins by the base of their tails every year and they're fine. I understand you don't want to hurt your chin, but you're not going to if you listen to the advice you're given.

Back