New woode house...Trixie does not like it!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie5656

Chinchilla slave
About a month ago I bought Trixie a new wooden house. It is different from her old one, slightly smaller, I have added a picture. Apparently they discontinued the old one she had.
When I first got it, I introduced her to it in her playroom, and she seemed to liked it, jumped all over it and went inside and peeked out the "window". When I put it in her cage, she will sit on top..and sleep on top, but will not go inside to sleep. She sleeps either in her wheel, or in her hammock. With her old house she slept inside of it often.
There was a bigger one, but I was afraid it would take over her cage and she'd have no room for anything else. So, now what? She is getting her day of sleep and all, just won't go inside the house. Anyone else have this house?

Attachments

• cinbed.jpg
    cinbed.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 29
No, but I can tell you it has nails in it. That house is not safe for your girl.

edit: I would like to correct myself. I was confusing it with the timber hideaway, and I looked up this one and it says it's free of nails. The only thing i can say is just leave it in there, she might start using it. Chinchillas are funny that way :))

Last edited:
Chins are funny. They sleep where they happen to think is most cofortable at that moment in time. There are days where my boys won't go in their houses at all, even though they have had them since day 1 with me. Sometimes they would rather sleep on a ledge or in their potty tray :wacko:

Definatly no nails in this one. There were nails in the old one..probably why they stopped making it. She had chewed the old one so that the nails were exposed, so that is why I wanted to get rid of it. Plus, she had chewed it enough so that there were some sharp edges, and I think she scratched herself some times.
Well..I will just let her do her own thing. I will be anxious to see what she does this summer, when it is to warm for her hammock. Plus her house is on the side of her cage closest to the AC

I have the one for my three boys!! They love it and get in it all the time. I don't remember if one of them sometimes sleeps there, too. When I try to grab them for playtime, they run in there to hide, too. lol

I had that house last year and after they chewed the top corners there were metal "L"/corner brackets. The good thing is you can pull then out with a pair of pliers, the bad thing is they can cut themselves before you can get to it... I had a pic of it but it was a long time ago, I will post it if I find it...

P8120016.jpg

I had that house last year and after they chewed the top corners there were metal "L"/corner brackets. The good thing is you can pull then out with a pair of pliers, the bad thing is they can cut themselves before you can get to it... I had a pic of it but it was a long time ago, I will post it if I find it...

Amiee...is that one like mine? Wow. I will have to keep an eye on Trixie, then. She has not chewed it much..yet.

My girls have the same house and once they got to the brackets they stopped chewing and moved on to another part of the house, so it's not exactly sticking out. Good to know if they ever decide to chew more I can just pull it out.

Instead of continuing the roof they decide to remodel. The window was not acceptable and had to be part of the door.

Back