Cage Pictures

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! What an impressive play area those lucky chins have! I've been looking around for a design. What are the dimensions of yours? Do they stay in there all the time, or just to play?

Thanks, Kathy

Kathy, my playpen is attached to Tink's cage, and she is able to freely leave her cage at any time. She ends up sleeping in the maze and doesn't spend much time in the cage anymore, except to eat and drink. My playpens came from Petsmart, and I think they are each 8 panels in length. So it is a pretty sizeable area when fully stretched out. Again, I am lucky to have a chin who doesn't do much jumping and has never tried to jump over the pen. So while this works for me, it may not work for others.

I just had a few questions about all the cages. I currently have two chins and theyre in a cage that's about 2.5 ft wide and about 3.5 ft tall. They've got 2 full wood ledges, a hammock, and a flying saucer wheel. Is this big enough for two?

I really want to get a ferret nation cage sometime soon. But based on the pictures most people seem to have fleece liners. What's the point of this? I know its hard on their feet to walk on wire bottoms, but dont they pee on it?? Mine usually just go in one or two corners, but without pine shavings, I'd think their cage would get really messy. Also, how do you make the little tubes lined with fleece?

Thanks!

It's more of a personal preference about the fleece liners. A lot of people find it is easier to clean with the liners, rather than with shavings, because all you do is shake them out daily and wash them once or twice a week. This eliminates the need for shavings, which get all over the place. They do pee and poop on them, but to cut down on this, some people have litter pans in their FN's. But this only works if your chin is potty trained and even then it's not a guarantee. ;)

I'm not sure about the fleece tubes, but if you do a search on here, I am sure there is a link for some instructions. I usually order mine from one of the chin stores on here because I am less than handy when it comes to making anything like that.

This is the newest (and final!) cage that my husband built. I really wasn't planning on doing anymore big cages but unfortunately when I had to separate Buster & Rupert I just couldn't leave Woo (Rupert) in a small temp cage while all the other boys had big ones.

I know it looks really bare right now but there is a Chin Spin on the way and the hammock hanging on the door needs to be put in and I just picked up some more wood for some more perches but that probably won't get done until next weekend.

102_0181.jpg

102_0183.jpg

102_0193.jpg

102_0195.jpg

102_0212.jpg

View last night from my chin room.

102_0218.jpg

Nothing to do with chins but here's a pic of my new kitty Molly that I'm still 'asking forgiveness for'. :laughitup:

007-8.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Dawn. Thing is, it's not at all what I was expecting Gordon to build. I said I wanted a really open cage with lots of ledges and perches so that Woo could fly around the cage b/c he's so hyper and when I came back he had the whole middle floor in with a small cutout leading to the bottom and I couldn't believe that he didn't even listen to me. It is growing on me though and Woo still flies around that cage and does seem to like scooting through that little opening.

Was thinking of giving Buster the new cage b/c he's such a big pig and pees and does other nasty things on his shelves and his cage is much harder to clean than the new one. I'm afraid to switch him over though b/c he does not like change and I certainly don't want to set the tyrant off again and have him revert back to stalking and biting me. :wacko:

Yes, Molly is a pretty kitty. She is only fifteen months old, had one litter before her spay and we are her fifth home; poor thing.

Here is the cage of Sissy, Fanny and Génie
Photo109.jpg

This is for Laly, Maly and Biscui
Photo099.jpg

Hi everyone, new to this forum and to keeping a chinchilla. Loving all the pictures of the cages giving me so many ideas for mine. Find it hard to find toys here in Ireland for my chin, are the hanging toys all the wooden ones you would see for parrots?

Most of the hanging toys you see here are made by individuals. You could always buy your own toy parts and make your own if you don't have anyone close to you who sells them. I buy mine from various people here who have online stores.

Just thought I'd update with a couple of pics of the two newest guys here, the two came together in the blue wire cage but I ended up separating them b/c of excessive chasing and nipping.

This is Rupert's new cage that has a Chin Spin finally. I don't normally have plastic in the boys' cages but Rupert is not a chewer at all, not even toys it seems, but he is quite attached to that plastic igloo and even though he has a nice wooden hidey house he sleeps in the igloo.

006-12.jpg

007-10.jpg

This is Buster's cage. Just the other day I got my husband to build and attach a wooden base to the bottom to make it easier to clean and there's four really good quality wheels on the bottom so I can move it around to clean behind etc. He has 'curtains' on his cage b/c I don't want him nipping the other boys or vice versa when they're out and about for playtime. When everyone goes back into their cages for the night I do clip the sheet back so he's not so closed in. He's still awaiting his Chin Spin which I'll order fairly soon when I get a bit more money.

004-10.jpg

Hi everyone, new to this forum and to keeping a chinchilla. Loving all the pictures of the cages giving me so many ideas for mine. Find it hard to find toys here in Ireland for my chin, are the hanging toys all the wooden ones you would see for parrots?

There are quite a few suppliers on here who will ship internationally. We have another member from Ireland that they've shipped to, so they are familiar with it. Just post a "wanted" ad in the classifieds section!

Thanks, and yes I'm sure my husband would build a cage for you if you gave him a six pack of beer and let him turn on the Canadian House of Commons channel. Wow, that's seriously painful to listen to, not sure if you could handle it for long enough to have the cage built; torture!

Oh darn, not sure we get the Canadian House of Commons channel here! But my husband works for a brewery so we can definitely work something out in that regard! :D

Carol-Anne....I LOVE your cage! Can I move in their too?? It looks like so much fun!

Rach-elie, your's looks so pretty.

Just curious...I know the poops are way easy to clean up and the hay isn't so bad either...but how is it cleaning up the pee-pee off the fleece liners? I have been considering getting a nicely used FN (or similar cage), but would hate to see my girls ever have to step on wire ramps (it breaks my heart because my other girl has a Quality Cage with the wood shelving). Her little paws would probably get so sore because they are so spoiled with nice soft wood all the time. My new girls have a wire cage (small wire squares), but I can still see that their paws are red and getting sore so I want to move them into something more comfortable.

Does the fleece do a nice job with this? Does pee-pee leak through the fleece to a bottom floor? And does the fleece wash up easily?

Your thoughts would be greatly helpful. I want my girls to feel like they live on Cloud 9.

Nevermind...I just realized my questions were answered a couple pages ago...I didn't realize how many pages were in this thread.

Here are some pics of my babies cages.

The last one is the "wee ones" cage, they are both missing a leg each, so they have one level, and fleece all over.

Attachments

• clean cages 063.jpg
    clean cages 063.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 262
  • clean cages 064.jpg
    clean cages 064.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 236
  • clean cages 066.jpg
    clean cages 066.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 245
  • clean cages 069.jpg
    clean cages 069.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 207
Here are some pics of my babies cages.

The last one is the "wee ones" cage, they are both missing a leg each, so they have one level, and fleece all over.

I like how some of your shelves act like stairs. I was always attracted to the idea of stairs for chin cages. Hmmm...I might just have to go build some now!!

Where did you get that bridge in the third photo/ how did you make it? That would be perfect to fill a gap I have between two levels!!!!:dance3:

Back