Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Related Articles
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Related Articles If you have an article relating to chinchillas, their history, health, genetics, please post it here.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:32 PM United States

Chinchillas: 3
Exclamation 420 Chinchillas Rescued

I thought I'd post this here since I just saw it. Not sure of the exact details of this particular breeding ranch, but thought that everyone here on the forum would want to know about it if you didn't already.

First link is the abc 10 site and the second is PETA's.

http://www.10news.com/news/san-diego...om-vista-ranch

http://investigations.peta.org/chinchilla-farm-rescue/

NOTE: My biggest concern here is the 420 chinchillas that are now going to be in need of a home
Old 08-20-2014, 09:47 PM United States
Scooper of all the poops!

Chinchillas: 1

http://www.sdhumane.org/site/PageSer...tionChinchilla

Additional info, from the news page. It makes me cringe a little to see what they say about treats, but if anyone wants to help out this is where to do it.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:13 PM United States

Chinchillas: 20+

Be aware peta is not telling the truth. This was a rancher who was trying to retire and sell the herd as a whole or as individual pets. The herd was bought and paid for in full and 100k was donated for their care! More than have of the peta video is not even the animals that were 'rescued'. The chins are all in good health and were well cared for. This is a perfect example of peta taking a normal sale and using it for their own publicity. There was no actual 'rescue' done here. The chins are now housed in non baby proof cages with plastic. They are miseducating potential homes with incorrect feeding insturctions.... the chins would have been better off left with the ranchers. To add insult to injury they are only charging $25 to adopt which will only encourage byb's and impulse buys at that price.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 PM United States

On another note they are not quarantining any of the chins or doing a pregnancy watch on any of the females. Its been less than 24 hours and they are already adopting out chins..... not how a proper rescue is done
Old 08-20-2014, 10:28 PM United States

Chinchillas: 9-2

I saw this being posted on facebook.

That treat list makes me cringe as well.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:40 PM United States
Im a Slave 4 Bubs

Chinchillas: 2

I live in San Diego and have been to this chinchilla ranch several times and met the owner (including once when I was in Girl Scouts as a kid, lol). PETA is definitely overblowing the cruelty angle. If anything, the cages were a bit small, but the owner knew legit chinchilla information and sold good chin-safe items like flying saucer wheels, metal cages (like Martin's), wooden ledges, good pellets, etc. Having said that, after getting Lil Bubs (from Craigslist) I went back to this chinchilla ranch and found that the chinchillas were pretty bitey and asocial, so I decided not to get one from there.

I for one will probably be adopting at least one of these chinchillas, as I've now had Bubs for 6 months and was already planning on getting another one.

Dreamlite, how do you know that about the plastic cages and the bad info? What a bummer if that is the case! I'm going to try to visit or at least call the humane society this week to get more info.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:09 PM United States

On their care sheet and videos they posted. Ferret nation cages with plastic houses and trays.... they advise feeding cranberries and seeds, its sad they are misinforming people. No notes on the long life spans. They still have the breeding collars on in the videos.... they aren't hard to remove.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:34 PM Croatia
Gizmo's roommate

Chinchillas: 1

Ugh I've been seeing the posts on FB about this. Just hoping for well educated new chinnie owners. Maybe some of them will find their way here.

I'm also hoping for a sense of peace for the owners, I can't imagine how crummy they feel to have their ranch labeled as in need of a "rescue."

Damnit, PETA... smh

Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty
Old 08-20-2014, 11:57 PM Canada

There is a lot wrong with the video, and apparently that humane society (misinformation, improper housing, and lack of important info) as already said. Also PETA is against keeping animals for anything, not only are they against the fur trade and meat industry they are against even keeping animals as pets. One thing I would like to point out, we as chinchilla pet owners owe a lot to fur ranchers. If it wasn't for the fur trade for one we wouldn't have pets chinchillas, but also a lot of the information and research we take for granted on nutrition, health, and even housing (to some extent) was done by fur ranchers, they have done a lot of good. I personally don't agree with wearing fur, unless it's from an animal you are eating too, but as I said the ranchers have put a lot of money into bettering chinchillas.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze
Old 08-21-2014, 01:09 AM United States
Im a Slave 4 Bubs

I agree Amethyst. I do hope some good owners can take in these chinnies and help spread the word on safe practices. I know some people in the rescue community here who can maybe help with that.

Speaking of which, I was planning on getting another chin in a few months when I've saved up a bit more cash (I wanted a $600 chinchilla fund so I could comfortably afford a whole new cage setup, wellness checkup, food, toys etc etc), but this is a very unique situation and I can definitely move up that timeline a bit. Still, I can't take one within the next few weeks at least. Does anyone know how long these chins are likely to be available? Could I maybe put one on hold for a while? I don't know how this works. I plan on calling the Humane Society tomorrow for more info but if anyone knows how the adoptions might work I am very curious.