Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Diet & Nutrition > Chin Diet & Nutrition FAQs
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2018, 10:28 PM United States

Chinchillas: 1
Default Best chinchilla pellets?

Hi. I'm a fairly new chinchilla owner as I got my chinchilla from a rescue in late September. Since he has gotten here I've fed him unlimited Timothy hay and "oxbow garden select" pellets. Recently I was reading on this site and found that a lot of people said that the garden select was bad for Chins. Can anyone tell me if they are bad or not? If so what are some good chinchilla pellets? I've heard of other oxbow pellets such as deluxe and essentials, as well as other brands such as traditional and mazuri. Anyways if you have any good brands or tell me what you feed that would be great!

Eric
Old 01-15-2018, 09:35 AM United States

Chinchillas: 2

I feed essentials, they eat it fine. I think one of the more important things is freshness-check the bag and try to get one that is well away from its expiration date.

“When I buy cookies I eat just four and throw the rest away. But first I spray them with Raid so I won’t dig them out of the garbage later. Be careful, though, because that Raid really doesn’t taste that bad.”
Old 01-15-2018, 10:59 AM Canada

Chinchillas: 2

The garden select is bad, chins should not have veggies. The oxbow deluxe and essentials are the same thing, it use to be called deluxe but the name changed to essentials. Also yes the other popular good brands are tradition (I think it's now called Hubbard Life Chinchilla Pellets) and Mazuri. If you have a lot of chins some high quality rabbit food is also ok, like MannaPro and MannaSho (depending on your needs), and Blue Seal Show Hutch Deluxe. Most rabbit foods come in big bags that is why I say "if you have a lot of chins", it's cheaper per pound but you will have a lot of waste if you don't go through it quickly.

Growing up I fed my chins Mazuri, I now feed my current ones Oxbow essentials. It just came down to what one was easily available where I live. The best one out of the primary 3 (oxbow essentials, tradition/Hubbard Life, and Mazuri) is really what your chin eats and you can get easily.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze
Old 01-15-2018, 11:49 AM United States

I've always fed our girls Oxbow essentials. I believe the essentials were the original safe and healthy kind. You are exactly right about the garden select being unhealthy. I have tried Mazuri as well, and in my opinion those two brands are the best on the market. I have also heard that (I believe) you can feed them some types of rabbit food, such as Purina Rabbit Chow Show or Manna Pro Sho. But I stick with Oxbow Essentials.

-Danielle