Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > News & Questions > News & Questions
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

News & Questions Check for important information and post general questions about the forum and its operation here.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:52 AM United States

Default Back and forth relationship

Hello all! I'm new to this site but I'm so glad I found it!

I will try to explain my question as best I can:
I have 2 female chinchillas who will be 4 years old in September. They have always been cage mates and best friends. (They aren't sisters but they were both born in September 2014. I originally had two sisters but one of them passed away about a week after we got them. That's a different story for maybe a different day. My heart is still healing from that experience.) We were able to find someone who had a girl chin the same age as our Roo. When they met, Roo immediately went to the new chin and snuggled in, success!!
They lived peacefully with each other for about 2 years in one of the those "2 story cages" that can be found at pretty much PetSmart. Anyway, one day I walked in to check on them because Toko (short for Toko'ua - 'sister' in Tongan) was barking. (She was the adopted chin.) She is very vocal, much more than Roo.
On this particular day, she was 'downstairs' sitting in the wheel. Roo was 'upstairs' hiding in a corner. I immediately knew they had been fighting because of their behavior and also the small clumps of fur in the cage. I separated them immediately and tried to calm both of them down. I looked online for helpful tips. Most of them mentioned sexual maturity which I had already suspected, but it still didn't feel like the right answer. I came to the conclusion that it very well could have been because Toko was protecting the food. Up to this point, they shared everything, food dish, wheel, wooden house to cuddle on top of, etc. I food have 2 water bottles because they went through it quickly.
We gave them a cooling off period for a few days like some sites mentioned and Toko immediately went after Roo. Luckily my daughter was in there with me to help referee. After that I only let them out one at a time. After maybe a week, they each started to go to the cage and try to 'talk' to the other one. We decided to try round 2 and it was like nothing had ever happened! Yay! We cleaned out the whole cage to try to make it as neutral as we could. We also had 2 of everything, one on top, one on bottom. We put them up for the afternoon. We went to bed and I heard Toko barking do i jumped out of bed and it was the exact same scenario with Toko being upset and Roo hiding. I was so sad.
They still played together outside of their cages just fine. They would even go 'visit' the other 'apartment' during this time and there wasn't ever a problem. I went out of town for a while and my husband who doesn't really like to sit and get cute little dusty furballs walking and jumping on him and using him as a springboard. Weird, right?!? Whole I was gone, he would let them both out when he got home from work and then go about his evening and put them in their cages before he went to bed. These were all unsupervised play times. They also have been getting song really well during playtime for over a year.
About a month ago, my husband let them out when he got home from work. I wasn't home from an appt yet so he just did his normal for when I'm out of town. He went to bed and I followed a few hours later. I saw the light on in the chin's room and realized that he forgot to put them to bed and forgot to tell me. Anyway...Toko was sitting in her wheel, upset and barking (later on that night) and Roo was nowhere to be found. I was so scared every time I had to look under their cage or in her little hutch or in Toko's little hutch, etc. I was praying that I wouldn't find a dead chin. I finally found her on a card table in that room with a box of books and a sheet over it and the sides were all taped to the wall to prevent little chin teeth from eating the books. She had somehow managed to get under that sheet. She was terrified. There was so much for all over the room. Clumps of it that were as big as my palm. I could tell which fur was Toko's and which was Roo's. I have never seen so much fur. I put her in her cage. The next few days, she would let me pet her but if I tried to go from head and down her back and over her right hip, she would squeak a little and run away. The other hip was fine. She was tender there for a few days but never had a limp and would let me pick her up as long as I didn't touch that right hip area. In the last few days from 'full recovery' I think she was still squeaking because she was scared that it would hurt.
After that, obviously play time was just one at a time. When Roo was out, Toko would go crazy and run around her cage, tracking Roo wherever she went in the room. If Roo came too close to her cage, she would lunge forward at her with her little paws pushing in front of her while making a sound. She also was grinding her teeth do i learned what that meant that night. Next it was Toko's turn to play so Roo went in her cage and Toko came out. I was curious how Toko would be with Roo. She seemed very interested in her through the bars, and thenvery suddenly, Toko makes this mean sound and I had the joy of witnessing the urine spraying but apparently Toko's not a very good shot because Roo was in her cage in front of Toko and I was behind Toko. She got me all over my head and some on my lip. Yum...
So, no more visiting through the bars. I was sad. I can tell that neither one of them likes to be alone. They just touch noises and sniff each other when I give them their individual playtime. Roo is a little more cautious aboutgoing to say hi to Toko when Toko is in her cage, but she loves it when Toko comes to her cage to visit. Today, Toko got to come out first. After a few baths, Toko came to sniff Roo. They sniffed for a good few seconds. Eventually, Roo sat right at the door, facing me, giving me those "please let me out Mom, I promise we'll be good" looks. They still only get separate playtime but their cages are now side by side instead of 2 floors. We are waiting to see how they do before we put the cages touching each other.
So...long story. I apologize. What do I do??? Is this just something that they are going to do every now and again?
(And, the night of the big fight - my husband didn't feed them knowing that I was coming home later and would do it because that's what we always do. But, I assumed that he did it because I was unusually later that night. I think they got in a fight over food, even though Roo could've gotten to her cage and her food. Toko loves her food. I also thought that it could've been a fight over the wheel. They both have one but they always wasn't what the other one has.)
I'm guessing they can never be cage mates, but I am hoping that we can figure out a way that they can be play time friends. And always supervised and not too long if we can't supervise. They usually don't have play time for 4 hours. That was a parent blunder.
So...any suggestions?
Old 06-11-2018, 05:09 PM Canada

Chinchillas: 2

Honestly I would never trust them alone together again, chins can fight to the death. I really don't agree with any unsupervised out of cage playtime, not even a minute, even for a single chin, too much can go wrong that you don't see if you aren't there. If you can't supervise the chin it needs to go back in it's cage.

I would be very reluctant to allow them to even play together at this point, but I have had chins that didn't want cage mates but enjoyed having playmates. It does sound like it could have been resource guarding, so I would make sure to take food completely out of the equation when/if they are out together. If Roo could get to her cage I would guess then that Toko could too? So it's possible that Toko went into Roo's cage then or if both cages where accessible then maybe Roo went in Toko's cage. I never allowed none cage mates in each other's cages, it can cause a fight, especially females. In the chin world females are the more territorial ones.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze