Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Housing & Supplies
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Housing & Supplies Anything to do with the housing & supplies of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 03-13-2019, 05:18 PM United States

Default Liner for Cage Ledges

Hey guys, so I just adopted a chinchilla from someone who was moving and they gave me her cage as well. Her cage as three built in ledges which is great but they're metal wire so I need to cover them with fleece so that they're not too hard on her feet. I know you can buy fleece liners from etsy but all the ones I've seen slip on over the cage or whatever. My ledges are built into the cage and only have one side exposed so it'd be impossible to slip anything over them. Does anyone have recommendations for what to do?
Right now all I can think of is to buy some fleece and place to over the ledges and just secure it with a safety pin to the outside of the cage. I am worried about my chin trying to get at the safety pin though.
I attached a picture of what the ledges look like so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:42 PM Canada

Chinchillas: 2

The picture didn't show up, or you forgot to attach it? Attachments don't seem to always work on here anyway, you are better off uploading the pic to a photo share site then linking it.

From your description though, you can try using metal binder clips to secure the fleece. I would worry about the chin trying to chew the safety pins and somehow getting it undone. Keep in mind though that fleece is only safe if the chin doesn't chew it, otherwise you'll need to find something else. Another option, or in case the fleece doesn't work out, would it be possible to just get wooden ledges to go on top of the existing ledges? Or bolt wood over top the wire ledges?
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze