Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Health & Hygiene
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Health & Hygiene Anything to do with the health or hygiene of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 12-20-2017, 08:13 PM United States

Chinchillas: 2
Default Tricky diarrhea

Hi all,

I’ve had experience with Giardia (mushy poops) on multiple occasions, but never diarrhea in a liquid state. One of my chins has had it for 4 days now, but here is the weird thing. It only seems to be a small quantity (from the amount I’ve had to spot clean in the cage) and it only happens in the late morning hours. By the time I check on him again in the evenings after work, his poop has solidified. Granted not as smooth textured as normal, but not mushy at all. This has been going on for 4 days now, taking him to the vet this weekend.

I feed him a healthy diet (no Charlie or VitaCrap) but have taken him off his Oxbow pellets for now, only hay. Usual treats are shredded wheat or cheerios... dried fruit just once a week. Our other chin is eating the same stuff and is free of any digestive problems. I ordered some pet pectillin but am still waiting for it to arrive. He seems in all other respects perfectly normal. Energy level, appetite, water intake, general behavior. He’s very alert and inquisitive and that hasn’t changed. I have a follow up vet appointment this Saturday.

I took him in for the same thing a couple of months ago, but after a battery of tests (fecal float, blood, urine and ultrasound) the vet ruled out giardia and parasites, but couldn’t find anything conclusive. And it seemed to pass on its own w/o medication. The only other thing the vet can think to check are his teeth and perhaps give him some antibiotics, but we’ll wait until she can see him in person.

I wouldn’t have guessed that diarrhea could be so fickle. I would have thought that it would be more of a constant state until recovery. Have any of you had a similar experience with your chin?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:40 AM United States

Chinchillas: 3

Does it smell bad?

“When I buy cookies I eat just four and throw the rest away. But first I spray them with Raid so I won’t dig them out of the garbage later. Be careful, though, because that Raid really doesn’t taste that bad.”
Old 12-21-2017, 04:27 PM United States

I hadn't thought to put my nose right down to it... :-) But otherwise, while cleaning it out of the cage and cleaning it off of my chin, and getting it on my shirt in the process, I did not notice any odor at all.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:43 AM United States

Well the vet prescribed Metronidazole and I was happy to see that after only two doses his poo seemed to return to normal. In texture that is, instead of being jagged and irregular it had become smooth and rounded again. And for two days no observation of diarrhea. It then on the third day it came back, again in the late morning hours... amazingly consistent timing. Guess we need to give it more time 😐
Old 12-27-2017, 10:23 AM United States

The reason I asked about a smell, if the odor is bad usually it means infection. If no odor its dietary or stress. It seems the vet is treating for a parasite, so be careful because you can get it or it can be passed to other pets, practice good infection control.

“When I buy cookies I eat just four and throw the rest away. But first I spray them with Raid so I won’t dig them out of the garbage later. Be careful, though, because that Raid really doesn’t taste that bad.”
Old 01-06-2018, 03:21 AM United States

Maybe remove the unhealthy dried fruit from his diet.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:56 PM United States

I think I need further consultation with the vet. We've completed the 10 days of antibiotic treatment, and the diarrhea, although greatly improved, has not stopped completely. When Toby hasn't dropped a small leaky mess, his poo has been otherwise completely normal.

Thank you for your advice. I have kept him separated from his cagemate since he first started to exhibit symptoms. Also eliminated dried fruit treats which he received only once a week normally anyway, which leaves him with only the occasional Cheerio or shredded wheat 2X a week. Disinfecting everything appropriately. I'd be much more alarmed if he had been losing weight but it has remained constant throughout this entire episode. This bug or whatever he has sure is stubborn!
Old 01-08-2018, 10:03 AM United States

I would also nix the shredded wheat, there are some chins that have wheat intolerance that can cause misdiagnosis of digestive issues. I had a father/son who both had it along with the sisters.