Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin General Topics
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin General Topics Post chinchilla topics that do not fit in other categories here.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:23 AM United States

Chinchillas: 6

i drilled holes in the wood and bought a poplar dowel to use when my chins huts were made.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:51 PM United States

Going to have to check Menards, my HD & Lowes only have $$$ poplar or select pine.... I just spent $80 and only have 5 boards to show for it, my only other option is "whitewood" and I was told it MIGHT be safe, it also might not. Nothing is just labeled pine that is less expensive. Good thing I love my furballs, I spent more on their lumber then on what I used to build some of my own furniture!
Old 02-17-2017, 06:26 AM United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyLiliLove View Post
25 ledges cut and i still have another 3ft 2X6 and 3ft 2X4. Next we need to put the screws and washers on. Later this week we are going to get more wood to make hideaway houses for all of them.
We paid under $10 for all of the wood got it cheap because theywere the cracked or bent sections, in total it will probably be between $15 and $20 bucks to make all of them. So in total I will have about 35 ledges for about $20. Better to make your own. It's cheaper, you can customize how you want and it's fun to do Will be making more soon though
Hope my chins like them as much as i do!
That's great!
Old 02-27-2017, 09:16 PM United States

Chinchillas: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinChin3 View Post
Going to have to check Menards, my HD & Lowes only have $$$ poplar or select pine.... I just spent $80 and only have 5 boards to show for it, my only other option is "whitewood" and I was told it MIGHT be safe, it also might not. Nothing is just labeled pine that is less expensive. Good thing I love my furballs, I spent more on their lumber then on what I used to build some of my own furniture!
The wood is a bit expensive. Shouldnt be $80 expensive tho. It also depends on what size you get. I usually get the (common) 6" wide boards. Usually around $10-15. The select pine is usually sold as a single board. Where as the poplar is sold by the foot. Which store is better will depend on your local area. Where i used to live, lowes had better quality. Where i am now, HD does.

Side note tho. If you ever are using poplar wooden dowels you will likely have to go to lowes for that, as no HD iv been to has them. They only carry oak dowels, and an unnamed wood dowel. Which... im not using. And if your ever looking for sand paper, the highest grade (400something), its in the paint section not the wood.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:13 AM United States

They sure do love a ledge lol.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:45 AM United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godofgods View Post
The wood is a bit expensive. Shouldnt be $80 expensive tho. It also depends on what size you get. I usually get the (common) 6" wide boards. Usually around $10-15. The select pine is usually sold as a single board. Where as the poplar is sold by the foot. Which store is better will depend on your local area. Where i used to live, lowes had better quality. Where i am now, HD does.

Side note tho. If you ever are using poplar wooden dowels you will likely have to go to lowes for that, as no HD iv been to has them. They only carry oak dowels, and an unnamed wood dowel. Which... im not using. And if your ever looking for sand paper, the highest grade (400something), its in the paint section not the wood.
You're right about finding the highest grade sandpaper in the paint section. Learned this lesson the hard way. And yes, for $80, the wood is quite expensive.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:52 PM United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godofgods View Post

how to choose the right sandpaper for your work ?
Old 07-16-2019, 06:37 AM United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielJohns View Post
You're right about finding the highest grade sandpaper in the paint section. Learned this lesson the hard way. And yes, for $80, the wood is quite expensive.
All of these are straight because the things are not mention equally on the previous carb