New chin owner :D

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittanyderoy

Hi guys, my bf and I are new to owning a chinchilla. We adopted a 3 year old male who came from a home with two little girls who manhandled him from what I saw. Wilbur has now moved to a big leveled cage and is being fed just Timothy hay, pellets and water with oats as a treat. He seems to be adjusting well, we have given him time to adjust to us and get to know us through talking and occasional pets and scratches when he’s been willing, we also just recently picked him up for play time not wanting to handle him too much until he’s ready. Today he seems grumpy and hiding in his cage not wanting any attention. I’ve read before that Chins can be moody.. does anyone have any advice or insight on this??

If he's been man-handled, he's going to take a little while to build up his trust again. This can take an indeterminate amount of time. Chins have long memories. Just be patient and keep working with him.

Back