I don't get it.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ticklechin

If I am told something is unsafe for my chins, I stop using it or doing it immediately and ask questions later, I give the people who are telling me it the benefit of the doubt that their info is correct until it can be proved otherwise, its only for the good of my chins. I don't get those that just continue on and ignore warnings, I mean really not everyone is perfect and so what if you were doing something you thought was safe and it turns out its not, you are not a bad person, a bad person is someone who does not listen and just carries on. So why do people ignore advice?

If I only had the answer to that one Dawn I'd share my billions of $$$ with you! Sometimes no matter how hard you try you just can't help people esp if they don't want help.

I would err on the side of caution as well. I would definitely not be satisfied with the advice of one person, but would feel more confident if the information provided was accepted by many. I would want to investigate further, but again, would not use the product until I knew for sure if it was safe or not. Wrong or misleading advice can be given, even from those with the best of intentions.

A big problem is when a pet store, or a vet, gives out the wrong information. We tend to believe someone, first, who is supposed to have that knowledge. It seems there are a lot of vets out there that group chinchillas with other rodent families. Especially when it comes to providing fruits and veggies. I think it can be hard for someone to hear otherwise, when the person they trust has given them information contrary to what they might hear here.

I also believe it is more difficult to "hear" information in writing. Corrections, contrary opinions, etc can sound much harsher, or stronger than what was intended, causing someone to thus become defensive, instead of embracing. I know I've typed things out, that when read to someone else, had a whole different tone than what I had intended. I also have experienced frustration when reading something to me that I interpreted incorrectly, since written words can't fully convey emotion and sincerity.

And, of course, some people are just too dense to accept good advice/information when given to them!

I can be a pig headed as anyone, many moons ago I used to use tea tree oil to clean cages, was told by a chin breeder it was cool to use, I liked it, liked the smell and the idea I was doing a good job because of the antimicrobial action of the oil. I posted on CNQ to a newbie to use it and got called out by a member whose name was Hedgemom-(RIP I do miss your wisdom) she never sugarcoated anything, normally I would argue but this time I thought WTH, its not going to kill them if I stop doing this until I actually find out if its safe, and the outcome was most of the information said its not, some freaks who sell products who contain it claim it was but the vet forums and vets, rescue groups and bunny people said its not, that was enough for me, my goal is to keep them alive.

People don't like to be told that they are wrong. Or that those they trust - the employees at the pet store or the veterinarian that treats their dog or the backyard breeder they got their chin from - are wrong.

I would hope anyone would err on the side of caution when it comes to their family members. But not everyone is like that. :(

I don't know either. Chinchillas are the first pet that I did the research for before getting and I had a great first breeder. We even have shown two of our boys because we were interested in breeding to do things right. I have to say that I am so thankful for the people who have mentored me because we have three healthy boys.

I also don't know. I came to this forum to seek advice and learn as much as I could. I found a ton of conflicting websites and vets and pet stores. I screwed up a ton of stuff with my boys and Leela (RIP). When Leela passed away I was devastated and needed to know how to help the guys live out the rest of their lives like kings. I could have gone on doing all the crap I was before, but I came looking for advice and I got tons. There was no reason for me not to follow it. I feel like now my boys and a rescue we've since acquired live a much better life because I have followed the advice of people on this forum. When people don't take advice or show up thinking they know everything already, it makes me sad. Sad for the poor animal that has to suffer at the stupidity of it's owner.

I think it is part of the human condition too. People in general do not like being corrected or informed of wrongdoing. Also there is the mentality of 'it wouldn't happen to me', or 'it's not THAT bad', that is characteristic of youth. I think it also can come down things like, "I just spent 300$ on this cage and they are telling me all the fancy plastic shelves are dangerous". The pet store sold it to them so they feel that the risk must not be all that high if at all true.

I think a lot of times saying something in a specific way can get through to people better too (and I mean the ones not very open to others advise). For example they might be more willing to listen if you say, hey, those plastic shelves are going to get wrecked within months by the chinchillas chewing them to pieces, but if you cover it with some cute fleece it will protect the shelves and the chinchillas. Versus telling them the chins are gonna die from impaction if they don't go buy a new cage right now, ect. Even when the more blunt term might be more correct, the delivery matters as much as the information being delivered to prevent that characteristic defensiveness.

I experienced this too when my husband wouldn't understand why we couldn't by the 35$ plastic wheel from the pet store instead of the 80+$ metal ones. His response was "there is a chinchilla on the package and the metal ones are a waste of money". I simply pointed out to him that along time ago I bought a plastic wheel for my previous chinchilla, and within 2 months it was broken because he chewed off the center spoke mount. A metal one will last for years. Well, we still don't own a wheel but now he doesn't question why I won't buy a plastic one. (the whole they can get gut issues didn't seem like a big deal to him but the wasted money hit home).

I suggest doing your research in depth before ever buying a chin. And then, if someone suggests something else or tells you that you're doing something wrong, research that too. Just because someone tells you to do something, does not always mean they are correct over you. It just depends on the topic and the experience level of the person. Even then, they can be wrong. Just do your research and go with your gut.

I got a chinchilla when I was 13. She was owned by aunt for two years, then when I got her I followed the instructions my aunt had given me. She was in much too small of a cage, she got fresh lettuce and things like that. Very crappy pellets were provided. At that time I didn't know any better, and Juliet (I named her, she didn't even have a name at my aunt's) passed away at 4 years old. Now that I know better I feel guilty for not taking care of her right. Now that I have another chinny (Yuna who is a little sick right now but steadily improving!) anytime I hear that something might be bad for here I steer clear of it.

I have often wondered this myself. A friend's daughter got a chinchilla and he came to me wanting advice. I told him everything he wanted to know and more ;) I even gave them a big bag of sticks, safe toys, treats, etc- TWICE. I told them everything can be ordered online for way cheaper prices than in stores and it's SAFE!!! They have been listening for the most part, but they won't spend any money on the chin. It's aggravating.

There are groups on facebook (local buy, sell, trades) and I see chinchillas on there every once in a while. A girl was selling some and usually I would shut my mouth, but I had to speak up when I saw the information she was giving people. She said, "Chins don't need toys, you can use a leash with them and to house them in a guinea pig cage". She didn't mention anything about A/C. I had to speak up at that point. She called herself a breeder too. GRRR. I was polite but wanted everyone to have the correct information before purchasing an exotic pet. A lady actually messaged me privately to get more information and decided not to purchase the chin.

It's the same with raisins. There are tons of healthy treats that chins would love. Why feed them raisins? There are a lot of misconceptions. That's why you have to do your research before getting a pet. Some people just can't be told they are wrong either. Like my friend's daughter. She says, "How does SHE know everything? The pet store told me this is what you buy". They are stubborn. Some people just don't care too and that's sad. Chinchillas are disposable to them, so why bother?

I think what also keeps people from listening is their experience with how they've done things. Let me explain. I was on a facebook group the other day talking about chin diet, and these people were posting pics of their chins eating fresh fruits, diets made mostly of dried herbs and dried fruits, all sorts of stuff that we, here, would know would be bad. I nicely explained, hey, not good for them. The result? Well, besides everyone telling me I was wrong, they all basically said, "well, we've been going this for x amount of years and the chin's still alive, so it must be fine!!!" They said this is the natural way of feeding them and then proceeded to make fun of me and my pellet and hay diet, asking me where I could find a pellet tree in the wild :hair: Needless to say, not open to changing.

I tried to use the smoking example. You smoke, and externally you look fine, but on the inside, your lungs are black, there's damage to your lungs, potentially shortened lifespan from lung cancer or other things, and so on and so forth. According to these people's argument, since the smoker is still living, smoking must be great!!

I'm personally of the same mindset as dawn. If someone says its bad, I will stop using it, and THEN (if I feel like it) research to see what I can find on my own. Sometimes it's not something I feel worth debating safe/not safe, especially as there are SO MANY safe treats and foods out there. But I prefer to err on the side of caution..... not a lot of people do that apparently.

When I first started out with chins, about 10 years ago, there wasn't much info on them in books nor the internet, at least the places I was looking at. When I finally found chins-n-quills, it was already too late with one of my chins as he had already been diagnosed with malo. I don't get the closed-mindedness that people have about learning things, especially when it comes to the health and safety of your pet.

I learned A LOT of lessons with my first chin, sadly at his expense but I did try to give them the best I could, even then. I read this forum day and night as well as a few other resources that I found through here. I would chat with a few seasoned members and went to a few chin shows and lectures to learn as much as I could. I swore that I would do right by him and not make the same mistakes if we ever got chins again. It didn't take us long to have chins back in our life and even though there are some things we still can't control, I will always be open to learning everything I can in order to give my pets a better and longer life.

Last edited:
"well, we've been going this for x amount of years and the chin's still alive, so it must be fine!!!" They said this is the natural way of feeding them and then proceeded to make fun of me and my pellet and hay diet, asking me where I could find a pellet tree in the wild :hair: Needless to say, not open to changing.

I tried to use the smoking example. You smoke, and externally you look fine, but on the inside, your lungs are black, there's damage to your lungs, potentially shortened lifespan from lung cancer or other things, and so on and so forth. According to these people's argument, since the smoker is still living, smoking must be great!!

That smoking example is great! I usually point out that Chinchillas are from a cold desert, the natural flora there is dry grass type foods. I don't think a wild chinchilla has ever seen a head of lettuce let alone a tropical fruit tree!! Also, just because only a few chinchillas drop dead from something doesn't make it healthy for those that survive. If something kills even 1 or 2 chinchillas in 100 why risk it!

People don't like to be told that they are wrong. Or that those they trust - the employees at the pet store or the veterinarian that treats their dog or the backyard breeder they got their chin from - are wrong.

I would hope anyone would err on the side of caution when it comes to their family members. But not everyone is like that.

This is a big source of the problem, but also it's difficult to differentiate where 'correct' information is coming from. For example, back when I was first starting with chinchillas (about 13 years ago) raisins were a perfectly fine treat. Then it was raisins are ok, but only in moderation. I come on here on occasion recently and now I find "raisins are TERRIBLE!!!! WHY would you FEED that!!!". The typical chin owner has conflicting information then, some coming from friends with chinchillas they trust, anonymous people on the internet, and their veterinarian. In truth, there is no way to validate what any of the people on the forum are saying, you must choose whether to give them the benefit of the doubt and trust that they have 'x amount of years of experience' or 'was told this by x who has hundreds of chinchillas', or just trust their vet who has a degree to prove their experience. I'm not saying vets are right, believe me, most are lacking in chinchilla experience, but I'm saying I understand where jane doe chinchilla owner is coming from. Ideally, there would be published studies we can cite from, but those are few and far between.

The way you take care of a pet is a personal choice, no matter what the animal. And unless the animal is in direct and immediate danger, there is no 'right way' take care of an animal, but suggested ways to better their health, or decrease the risk of health effects down the road. I wonder how many people on here that preach about the right way to take care of a chinchilla feed the best food and treats to their dog? What IS the best food for a dog? We can have a long, lengthy debate on that I'm sure. Some of the husbandry that people laud about on internet forums is in part a fad that waxes and wanes with time. I also remember a time when no one would suggest putting fleece in their cages.

I guess if really think the chin is in danger or poor health, the best way to approach the issue is not to automatically assume they 'don't care' or think ' chinchillas are disposable'. It's like they say, 'you attract more flies with honey'. Perhaps they will agree with you in time.

Last edited:
Much has changed in the world of pet chinchillas over the years that I have been keeping them. Some of it is good & some of it, not so good.
Some of the utter garbage I read on websites or FaceBook pages/groups makes me shudder &, quite frankly, I despair for the health of the chins who are forced to eat crappy, unproven diets, or are kept in unsuitable cages/environments etc.

Two phrases always spring to mind:

You can't sure stupid.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should ......

I think what also keeps people from listening is their experience with how they've done things. Let me explain. I was on a facebook group the other day talking about chin diet, and these people were posting pics of their chins eating fresh fruits, diets made mostly of dried herbs and dried fruits, all sorts of stuff that we, here, would know would be bad. I nicely explained, hey, not good for them. The result? Well, besides everyone telling me I was wrong, they all basically said, "well, we've been going this for x amount of years and the chin's still alive, so it must be fine!!!" They said this is the natural way of feeding them and then proceeded to make fun of me and my pellet and hay diet, asking me where I could find a pellet tree in the wild :hair: Needless to say, not open to changing.

That was a fun little exchange... the next couple of days were filled with them trying to justify their choice in diets and harassing us for being pellet and hay feeders...

I know what works for my chinchillas. In the past ten years I have changed very little about how I keep them because if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Fresh water, hay, pellets, clean cages with pine bedding, wood ledges... it's safe and it works. I used to give a daily or every-other-day raisin but that has stopped.

I don't get it. Why do owners not want to educate themselves with all the info they can about their chinchillas health, with all the crud on the net, even from DVMs such as this quote from a DVM on chinchilla care " They love pizza crust, cheetos, raisins, apple and the like. However these items given more than occasionally will soon lead to digestive upsets, loose stools and eventual death" or the hack vet on Animal planet who crunched off a rabbits incisors with a wire cutters to the point they were flush with the gums and bleeding, way to go guy, to the vet who Rxed a oral steroid to a young chin for a leg injury who died shortly after, a internet friend of mine. I think if your vet actually thinks you have knowlege, it also means you really care. I just had to go to the vet for the first time in two years last week, it was for a simple incisor trim of some upper incisors the chin wore the cutting surface uneven, my vet knows I know teeth so he asked what I wanted, how I wanted it to look, how much off, what angle of the chisel, and he did it. Some other hack like the one on TV could have snapped them off and gave him back and I would have had no clue that was not cool if I didn't know.

Back