Quarantine bites!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightningturtle

Scooper of all the poops!
Just venting my frustration.

I'm at the tail end of an upper respiratory infection, and this whole time I've quarantined myself from Dessy to make absolutely sure she didn't catch it. I'm lucky: my boyfriend just looked at me like I was crazy and accepted feeding duties.

But I want to play with my chin! And it's time for her cage to be cleaned out but the boyfriend won't go that far (admittedly, chin pee is pretty intense).

It's been just shy of a week and I'm going nutty. I can't wait to be able to spoil my girl again!

Good hand washing and wearing a mask should let you feed/ clean/play with her at this point.

I know how you feel. I was really sick with a stomach type thing (ER visits and everything, they still have no clue what it was), and flat out refused to go anywhere near my chin room while I was sick. It killed me to have to "ignore" them and stay away. I felt so bad, and they were so mad at me. My parents were at least willing to feed/water/spot clean their cages for me. My mom would try to give them their nightly oat (yes they get ONE single oat every night instead of a pinch of them every few days) and they all would refuse.

I think as long as you wash your hands really good before handling, cover your mouth/nose when you cough/sneeze, and wear some sort of mask (or a scarf over your face) you should be okay.

i know how you feel. I wont go near my chins while im sick either. Even for a little while after i feel better because infections like that are still in you when you start feeling better. Chins being so susceptible to respiratory problems, i wont risk anything with them. Id rather them be lonely without me for a week or two then know there in pain from catching an infection (and the vet bills).

I just cover my face with a bandana and wear gloves. They, of course, try to chew the gloves and remove the bandana, but at least that way they still get some interaction. Hope you feel better soon!

I got to have a little interaction with her yesterday, but all I got to do was feed her and top off her hay. Then I started coughing and had to move away from her cage and she got MAD. She barked at me and ran back and forth across her ledges, and started contact calling when I left the room. I gave her a stick and some flower bits as soon as I could, I felt so bad.

Today we got to have a bit more time together, which was very nice.

Back