Cant decide between a Chinchilla and a Hedgehog

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a chinchilla from a pet store and I'm perfectly happy about it, i got judged cause i got feeder rats as pets from a pet store as well. Keep in mind not all places who are pet stores are abusive,that's a stereotype just how people think snakes are scary. If i find a pet at a pet store i really like i'm gonna get it,regardless of what people may think about them. I love my new chinchilla smokey and nothing is gonna change that. :)

Smokeymylovingchinchilla, though it may be true (though I've yet to really see conclusive proof) that some petstores aren't abusive, I'd challenge you to find one that knows the first thing about chinchilla care. They don't provide them with things they need oftentimes, and include plastic and toxic items in their cage. Ignorance, whether they intend to or not, is abusive.

Buying from pet stores supports puppy mill breeding of animals, which is why many people do not support buying from the.

Hmm...I can see both sides of the argument from the petstore vs rescue/shelter centres. I have two chins, one is from a rescue situation (neglecting owner) and the other we bought from a pet store. I think what matters the most is the amount of research you do into the source of your chinchilla.

Pet stores are notorious for their bad reputations, and our chin from there (Rolo) was obviously not hand trained so training her to get used to us took almost half a year. But on the other hand, Shakespeare, the chinchilla we obtained from a neglecting family was a rewarding experience as well. We got to see him grow into a more social chinchilla and although his natural disposition is serious and moody, we know he loves us as much as we love him ^_^.

Good luck with your choice! And tell us which you get =D

Back