Messy Eye

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seacow4

Hi everyone,

So my chinchilla started having some eye irritation last month. Redness around the eye, teary and wet, started slight hair loss near the eye and keeping it half closed. He really only showed symptoms at night. Went to the vet, stained the eye, no scratch. She gave me antibiotic eye drops twice a day for a week. We made it through the drops, the eye cleared up. Then, about a week later, he started having a white discharge from the same eye. Began the teary and half closed eye again, so I did another cycle of the eye drops. Again, the eye cleared up. However, I noticed tonight, another week since the second eye drop rotation, there's potentially some more white discharge from the eye and, again, only at night.

My chinchilla doesn't seem affected other than occasionally holding the eye shut. I haven't noticed him scratching or bothering the eye. He is eating well and active. I've changed laundry detergents for his fleece, change them out every other day, and restricted dust baths. I don't use air fresheners in the room and I have a ceiling fan going on low to circulate the air. He's fairly new (rescued in July 2019) and only started having these symptoms about a month after living here, but I can't figure out what is going on. The vet said if it continued, we could explore URI or dental issues, however, he's not having any other symptoms.

Any ideas???

When my chinchilla had a watery eye, it was related to a URI. The only symptom was the watery eye. The URI cleared up quickly with oral antibiotics but the associated conjunctivitis lasted for months. He was on drops forever. The ointment is better, but harder to get in their eye. Drops can take longer to work but are much easier to use. For me anyway.

Sometimes drops aren't enough. I usually use TMS oral antibiotic in conjunction with drops and that takes care of it.

Great, thanks for the replies. Any ideas what might have caused the eye irritation or potential URI to try to prevent it in the future??

Back