Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Diet & Nutrition
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Diet & Nutrition Anything to do with the diet or nutrition of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 08-25-2019, 08:41 AM United States
chinchuckles

Chinchillas: 3
Default Gluten in chinchilla food making me ill

I have Celiacs Disease and recently discovered that I am reacting to all the food dust in the air from the pellets I feed my chins. Iíve fed them the same brand for years (Nutrina) and they do well on it. They also get Timothy Hay and occasional oats or rosebuds. Iím going to stop with the oats since they are typically heavily cross contaminated with wheat.

Can anyone give me recommendations for what to switch my chinchillas over to? I was searching through old posts and saw one person write that you can find 100% Timothy hay pellets and then feed some alfalfa hay? Iíve never seen that in stores or online, however, so donít know where to look. I would transition slowly of course but I donít want their food quality to go down. In the meantime I can wear a mask around them, but itís impacting my health enough that I canít really interact with them without wearing the mask. This whole thing is making being a chinchilla owner not very fun/rewarding at the moment, and I want to fix it!

It all began with Snoops...
Old 08-25-2019, 12:42 PM Canada

Chinchillas: 2

Feeding Timothy only pellets is not really ideal, it's more common to feed timothy pellets if there is a reason your chin can't have alfalfa, like prone to bladder stones. Timothy has a fraction of the calcium as alfalfa (about .3% vs 1-2%), so you need to be watching the chin more closely if feeding alfalfa hay, they may end up with too much calcium.

I don't think I've ever seen 100% timothy pellets though, most at least have some alfalfa mixed in. One newer food I've heard about that someone with celiacs disease actually recommended is Sherwood Pet. I can't vouch for it myself, but it's one option to look into, though it's not timothy only, it has alfalfa and timothy.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze