Try to choose house

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samwoodblack

Hi!
Please, tell me can I buy one of these cages for my chin? Is it ok to use rabbit cage? Any other suggestions?
Thanks for your time!

None of those are really very good for a chin, first of all they all have plastic, which chins chew so that would need to be removed, replaced, or covered with fleece. The only non-plastic one (the wire panel one) the chins can easily hop out of, they can easily jump 5-6 ft high. Most rabbit cages are way too short for chins, they need lots of shelves, perches, ledges, and stuff to hop around on, they don't spend that much time on the floor of the cage. If you are able to cover or replace the plastic then the I guess the Easipet FED21620 might be the closest to being an ok cage. I don't know how sturdy the bars are, they look pretty thin, they might break if add ledges and perches, and it's definitely not going to be strong enough to hold a chin safe wheel.

Chins are hoppers and jumpers, so they need vertical space, cages like the double ferret nation or double critter nation are ideal if you just replace or cover the plastic pans. Many people, myself include, even remove the solid middle floor to help open up more vertical space too (here is my cage to give you an idea). Since you linked a UK site I'm assuming you are in the UK so a cheaper equivalent cage would be this Liberta cage That cage actually seems better too since it comes with metal pans rather then plastic that would need to be replaced or covered, and remove the ladders since they are more of a hazard and chins don't need them anyway. Also ditch the hammocks, they aren't safe either, the only safe fabric is fleece since it doesn't unravel if chewed or pulled on.

Back