Cleaning a stained litter tray...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naomi_brightt

Hi, so I'm a relatively new chin mum (very happily so might I add ☺️) and my lil chin has pretty much litter trained himself. As much as this makes my life easy, he's managed to already stain his baking tray that I use and he's only had it for about 2/3 weeks. Is this normal or does anyone know of any homemade, pet safe disinfectants as the one from the pet shop makes no difference!!!! Thank you :)

Hi, so my chinchilla has pretty much litter trained himself, which makes my life so much easier but he's already stained the baking tray that I use. I was wondering if that's just something I'll have to deal with (and eventually replace obvs) or if anyone knows a recipe for a pet safe disinfectant as the one from the pet shop does nothing! Thank you :)

You can use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water to disinfect. However if what you are talking about is the white calcium build up, I found that soaking the litter pan in Nature's Miracle spray overnight (you need to give it time to work) after I have cleaned as much off as I can seems to help. I have two litter pans and just swap them out so I can soak one and have the other in the cage.

The white staining is normal, they pee out extra calcium (ideally), and since their pee is so concentrated it builds up fast.

Back