Introduction of new Chinchilla to older (both female)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBigJablonska

I have seperated my two level cage and bought all new padding and such. I let them settle in yesterday. Today I put them both in our spare bedroom with some cardboard boxes to jump around on and hay for distraction.
When the new Chinchilla came up to sniff the older, the older chinchilla snipped at her, so I seperated them for a second, but she did this a few times in 30 minutes. I know some fighting is normal, but the new one is significantly younger (smaller) so it's hard to watch her get bullied for no reason . I also see that though she snips, she is also scared. She does not mount or continue pouncing. Just snips and runs away. :cry3: Now I have snipped the older's whiskers a bit and put them in each other's cages in hopes of getting used to smells. Any more advice? What are the chances the older NEVER stops harassing her ? :cry3:

Bonding can be a slow process, it can take weeks, months, or even years if you stick with it that long.

How long have you had the new chin? Ideally it should have been quarantined from your current chin for 30 days. That time allows the new chin to settle in, for you to get to know it and it to get to know you, and also for any possible illnesses to show up before exposing your current chin.

Also when you let them out to play was it in a new neutral area? or was it a place the older chin already knows and has her scent in? You need to put them in a neutral area so neither thinks it's their territory with new toys that neither have touched.

How long did you do the cage swapping? Also how long are you leaving them in each other's cages? That part normally takes a couple weeks back and forth of spending a day or at least over night in the other's cage. You want them in each other's cage long enough to relax.

I would also keep in mind that just like all humans don't like all other humans not all chins like all other chins. Some chins even prefer to live alone.

Back