Tug-of-war...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadouneko

So I'm sitting on my floor downstairs, writing letters to people back home.. have everything sprawled out on the floor: colored pencils, paper, envelopes, etc. All of a sudden, Chester decides to be funny and sprint up to me, do little jumps off of me to distract me from his master plan.. stealing all my things! He started grabbing a pencil, one by one.. carrying it in his mouth while sprinting and hiding underneath his cage. As I tried to take them back, he would grab them in his mouth and play tug-of-war with me refusing to return my pencils!
So every time I got one back, I started coloring again.. and back he comes to grab another pencil! And this continued on for quite some time.. a nice little drawing that should've taken maybe five minutes took almost a half hour. I offered him his own chew toys countless times, but no! He had to have my pencils and letters.
Little monster.. hahahaha. I love him so much. Always an adventure with this guy..

Hahahaa. I know!! He's so awesome. And so strange and crazy. <3 I love himmm! He just always needs to be playing in whatever area of the room I'm in, making sure that my stuff is his stuff. Ahaha. :3

Good Chester! :tease:

Jkjk! My chin would do the same thing when I was studying for spanish. She would take a paper and try to run off with it, but would end up tripping over it most of the time because it was much bigger then her. But whenever I took the paper back, she would run and do it again! Soon all my papers had little bit marks in it!

AHAHAHA! I'm glad someone else goes through this mischief. It's way too funny and cute for just me to experience. He always knows when he's taking something he's not supposed to have. :D
Haha. Thank you raisinggrace! Glad you like his antics. Heehee..

Sorry to bring up another old post, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with tug of war between two (friendly) chinchillas?

Occasionally (although it's starting to happen more often than not) when I give my two chins (about 6 months old brothers) an apple stick each, they'll settle in to devouring the wood, and then one will look over at his brother and decide that his brother's looks much better than his. He promptly drops his own half nibbled stick, and goes and grabs his brother's. His brother sometimes will just let it happen, and sometimes there will be a tug of war between the two of them. If I see this happening, I tend to run interference and make sure each one has his own stick, so that they chill out. When the sticks are eventually dropped, I just take them out so that no more stealing/grabbing problems can arise.

Should I just be letting their petty squabble run its course so they can figure things out between the two of them, or is it ok to mediate the situation?

They get along really well so far (lots of sleeping together, grooming, snuggling, and synchronizing their schedules to eat and play together), and I want to do whatever I can (although I realize it's ultimately up to them) to ensure that they go on being good buds.

I remember reading somewhere that chins don't really care if another chin grabs food from their paw/or mouth, as that's what their mothers would have done (is this true?). But when it turns into a tug of war over an apple stick, I get a little worried. Does anyone have any insights?

Back