Breeders selling breeding pair to newbs.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tagna

Chin lover
I know many breeders sell breeder chins among themselves quite often. Sometimes pairs even but do you think it's ethical to sell someone new to chinchillas a pair of breeding chinchillas. Especially a pair that is 2 mutations together?

Personally I think breeding is serious business and if you aren't a breeder or have any knowledge about chins and breeding them, you shouldn't be jumping into chin ownership with a male and female pair.

Everyone was a beginner breeder once and everyone had to learn hands on. Like I've said in another thread there is no step by step guide to breeding chins on the net. There's hardly any info at all. The only way it seems to learn is to go to a breeder, get some chins, and start asking them questions as they arise. Although even then most breeders have run systems and aren't greatly helpful about pair breeding.

I agree with akane.

They're going to get a breeding pair wether it comes from you or the pet store. I'd honestly rather have my healthy genetics out there running around breeding all willy-nilly than some random pet or craigslist stuff.

Mute to Mute is only a bad thing if you talk to a breeder that breeds for pelts. I haven't had a standard pair in my herd in years and quite frankly, have a hard time finding a standard of high enough quality to "improve" my mutes.

So long as the overall health of the pair (malo/heart defects/allergies/etc) are good it doesn't matter to me what they breed. I used to lump fur chewing in there but that doesn't kill them. A lot of other genetic issues do.

It used to bother me a lot, but man I'd be happy for the day I didn't ever have to see another malocclusion case come in as a rescue.

Guess I should have added, this is someone new to chins and wants to own pets. Has them in a ferret nation cage and did not come to the breeder looking to breed.

I agree with Tagna.
I think breeders have an responsibility to the chins they breed and to teach and talk to people they sell breeding pairs to. At the very least they should give them an information package about breeding including honest information about the risks of breeding. Chinchillas are animals deserving of respect and they should not be treated as experiments, dying as a result of a breeder's laziness when it comes to researching, going to shows, and actively seeking out information on proper breeding practices. I am not a breeder but I have found ample information on breeding while reading about proper chinchilla care.

If they weren't looking to breed then I don't understand why they got a male/female pair...???

As for being new and buying a breeding pair intending to breed...I bought a male/female pair already paired by a fellow breeder when I was first starting and their kit got a first at Nationals this past year so I don't see anything wrong there...JMO

I agree 100% with Tagna.

I do find it rather irresponsible to just jump in to an animal and try to "learn as you go", it only results in suffering on the animals behalf. Take some time, learn about the animal you will be raising and try having a few without breeding to make sure it is the animal for you.

The thought of people doing no research selling to other people and creating more confusion on proper care is a bit of an unnerving thought. The blind leading the blind, really. People will take the word of whomever they buy the animal from and if they are incorrect, then it makes things worse on the animal.

(Please note, this does not apply to people who try and learn what they are doing beforehand. Anyone can make mistakes, but impulsive breeders are an obstacle no matter what animal circle you're in)

Pookinaround - I just want to point out that many people will have a problem with what you just said (though they won't admit it here). You didn't pair them up, someone else did, but you got credit for the showing. There was no knowledge on your part, it was knowledge on the original breeders part. There has been much grumbling about this in show circles for years.

I won't sell a breeding pair to a brand new owner. Sorry. I know everyone has to start somewhere. I did too. I visited ranches. I had ranchers with long careers show me about pairings, about the qualities to look for and breed for. I attended a seminar at a ranchers home and learned grooming and we held a mock show to see if I could spot the qualities a good animal should have.

Akane, it isn't like it was 10 or 12 years ago. There is a ton of information available now, whether through forums like this, or just by going around to different ranchers and observing/learning. Get a mentor who knows what they are talking about. Learn how to pair up animals. Learn what can go wrong as well as right. Learn about the animal you want to breed. Be prepared.

Watch the classifieds. You'll see the next impulsive, going to be a super breeder selling out again soon. It happens all the time. It happens because people didn't do enough research and didn't prepare.

^ This. :clap1:

Entire post seconded since I could not have put it better myself. ;)

Pookinaround - I just want to point out that many people will have a problem with what you just said

Eh...won't be the first time...and I am sure it won't be the last... ;)

Saw them, liked them, bought them....honestly could care less about the ribbons/credit...showed because I wanted to learn that's all...

Last edited:
akane, pair breeding is done by a lot of breeders. Each breeder is different so dont lump them all into 1 group. I breed both ways, depending on the chins. Its easy enough to find good basics on the internet. The secrets of the trade are not going to be put out there for the public. Those are for the people who put in the time and intent. There are many breeders you can talk to a shows, by email or even call. I have sold pairs (usually older slow prducing pairs) to newer breeders to start out with. But again it was ONLY to people who have had chins before or currently have chins. I will not sell any breeding pair to a person with absolutely no chin experiance. I think its just too much at once to learn care and breeding on a new animal.

I like what Dreamlite said about it. I think if they had never owned a chin before they would have a very high chance of failing within a year. Too many people assume they are cuddly pets. I would either try to steer them towards a single chin that was high quality, so that they could experience ownership and encorage them to learn more. I'd offer them advice on how to learn more about breeding (like shows and good breeders). But in the end I'm sure they will make their own choices, you can only pray they make a sensible one.

Seems like some people with out a lot of experience have a casual approach to breeding and that concerns me a lot. I cringe when I see posts on here "getting a mate for my ______"

Back