Anyone ever see what Petsmart thinks is suitable for hedgehogs?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PpunkTheHedgehog

I was just looking at random cages at Petsmart (actually to find a picture for another thread lol) and I noticed they had a category for cages for hedgehogs. Naturally I was surprised.

These are all terrible for hedgies D=
http://www.petsmart.com/family/inde.../Hedgehog&fbc=1&fbn=Pet+Type+1|Hedgehog&fbx=0

They also have a category for chinchillas, and there are a few in there that are obviously unfit for a chin. Some so small I almost wonder if it was a glitch on their part, there are cages in there the same size as the ones I used for my mice!

It scares me because I know a lot of people do their pet research through petsmart and petco, sometimes just through their website. I used to work for petsmart, a lot of people were getting cages, food, and a pet on the same day and had no idea what they were getting into. They'd ask me a hundred questions as they were checking out. (this was before quitting due to other moral reasons. I personally can't stand the way they do business)

I'm thinking about writing a complaint to them >.>

Actually, with modifications, the ferret nation and critter nation cages can be great for hedgies. Emphasis on the "with modifications" part. For example, taking out those ramps that lead from floor to floor and making the floor completely solid can create a pretty nice living space. You'll also want to put some climb guards on the ones with horizontal bars.

Agreed, though, as is, not a good idea to just plunk a hedgie in one of those and call it "done."

Ferret and critter nations are great for hedgehogs. We just got 6 FNs for use as weaning cages. We plan to get some CNs after Christmas.

My hedgehog used to be in a three level cage after I'd fixed it up a bit, although no one told me anything about fixing it up in any store when I was asking questions hahah

I think that if a pet store is going to advertise products for a pet, they should advertise knowledge along with it. All of us here seem to know a lot about our hedgies because of our involvement online, or from our experienced breeders (who also appear to be online or are well researched) But I think a lot of people that get pets don't do their research online, especially generations that aren't as "addicted" to the internet :p they rely more on information from people they know and people in the stores. I'd rather see hedgehog cages not advertised at all than see a general lack of information. (This is just what I'm getting after working in the stores. I liked to talk to people a lot as they checked out, few people seemed to be active in online communities like this, which is okay, but a lot of people had misinformation from other stores and my own coworkers)

Back