Is this cage safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As is, no it's not safe, it would need to be modified, but it can be made safe. Honestly looking it over with all the modifications needed I would just go with a cage that is made for rodents not birds. Most bird cages, unless made for large parrots, have thin bars, so don't support a lot of weight, chin plus ledge or the added force of a wheel. The ramps would need to be removed, the wire shelves would need to be covered or replace with wood or metal, more shelves and ledges would need to be added, also the bottom wire floor will need to be covered if it can't be removed. You'll also need to find a way to secure all the little doors on the cage, or the chin will escape, and replace the plastic bowls with metal or ceramic. When modifying a tall cage for a chin you also want to make sure the chin can't fall more then about a foot (30cm) or it could get seriously hurt or killed, so lots of overlapping shelves and hammocks.

Personally I would go with something like the Critter Nation https://www.amazon.co.uk/MidWest-Critter-Nation-Animal-Habitat/dp/B001NJ0DAY/ref=sr_1_23?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1508712387&sr=1-23&keywords=chinchilla%2Bcage&th=1. I have the Ferret Nation, but it looks like the Critter Nation is the cheaper of the two there. It still needs some modifying, like remove the ramps and cover or replace the plastic, but that's it.

Back