Do I need to get a dehumidifier?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trish57

The past few days have been soooo hot and HUMID in eastern PA, I worry about my chins getting moldy. I keep the temp in their room in the upper 60s, and humidity is usually not more than upper 40s, but the past few days it's been upper 50s and even lower 60s.

They don't seem to be in any distress, and neither really use the chin-chillers

I have central air, but bought a separate window unit for their room. They don't like the sound, and I'm hesitant to make more noise in the room.

I ordered a dehumidifier online this morning and was planning on picking it up on my way home from work today. But I'd rather not spend another $200 right now if it's not necessary.

Am I being a neurotic worry wart?

Thanks for your input!

Trish

Last edited:
I prefer my humidity to be in the low 40s. If it gets higher, I begin to see a difference in their coat and just the general feel of the barn. 40's, however, can be hard to come by in right now because of all the blessed humidity. I run a dehumidifier when I can, but you have to be careful with that too because it puts out heat and with you keeping your room at a higher temp. that could be an issue.

For myself, I prefer humidity in the 30s. But 40s is ok for the chins. I start to worry when it gets into the 50s. I was unable to pick up the dehumidifier last night, which I really regret today. The outside temp isn't hot and is not supposed to be today. But the humidity in the room right now is 67! Yikes - I freaked out. I have the temp at 64 trying to get some of the humidity out but it doesn't seem to be doing anything but making the room ice cold (to me, and I like a cold house.)

They both had play time out of the cage this morning and had dust baths.

I knew about dehumidifiers making the temp warmer and would obviously compensate for that with a/c. When I was reading reviews on individual units, one of the reviews on the one I picked said that it does not put out much heat at all, and that it was quiet. The noise level was key for me.

Are my girls in any danger of getting moldy today with the humidity so high, or is the room cool enough that it shouldn't matter? I worry so!! I monitor the room remotely all day at work.

Thanks for your help!

Back