Rescue chin happy story and she needs a name!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZChins

Pro Cage Cleaner Champion
Sahuarita, Arizona (a half hour south of Tucson)
On Sunday I picked up a rescue chin, who came from the Humane Society in Phoenix. Friends of mine picked her up for me since my trip to Phoenix on Sunday had 20 stops in it!

The owners of this chin surrendered her because she had tooth problems. I'm guessing that meant that they believed that they didn't have to actually take responsibility for their pet, or whatever, it happens all the time.

Her front teeth were very overgrown, but she wasn't really drooling much. I took her to the vet yesterday and he examined her teeth with the scope and didn't see anything really wrong with the back teeth except they seemed a little taller than they should have been. He cut back her incisors to be pretty short so that the back teeth will grind down to a normal height.

This wasn't a genetic problem or an issue with infection or injury. The reason why this chin had a tooth problem was probably because she wasn't given hay and probably only had low quality pellets....and probably didn't have any toys keep her grinding her teeth.

Today she's doing great. She ate a ton of hay and pellets. We were a little nervous since the incisors are so short, but she seems very happy since she can finally open and shut her mouth completely. I am so happy that she didn't need more extensive grinding or floating of her molars.

My vet is wonderful! :)

The last thing....she needs a name. Her current name is absolutely terrible. I already told the people at the Humane Society that we would be changing it right away. :) They were so thrilled that she's going to be alright...so many people were so worried about this little chin!

that is great its such a bummer people not only do so little research on what their pet needs but then at the slightest problem they just dump the issue on someone else. I wish there was some kind of test for being a pet owner. Bless you for giving Hope hope.

It's always nice to hear of a happy ending for a poor abandoned little chin :) It's so great to hear that she is doing well now, I'm sure she is so happy in her new home!!

When the doctor trimmed the teeth did they use gas? I saw a doctor doing this on youtube and he anesthetized the chinchilla while working on the teeth.

I'm pretty sure he gave her some gas to allow her to sleep during the procedure. I don't think she would have held still for him to trim her teeth. She's feisty!

She's a little angry still, but she's eating and trashing her cage so I think she's doing really well. I hope that in the next few weeks she will calm down and learn to be sweet. :)

Hope is super feisty. It may be because she is finally able to eat her fill of whatever she wants now. She loves hay so much and it has made a huge difference in her droppings.

I couldn't get her to really hold still for photos but I got a couple in focus. She just jumped down and ran around. (I usually do not allow playtime in the first week that a chin is here to minimize stress and allow chins to settle in....Hope doesn't care about that.)

She's got some weight to put on, but overall she isn't in bad shape. Her coat will come in nicer over the next month or two. She only has two little mats by her mouth and she isn't drooling at all...that will go away as soon as she will let me get to them!

Attachments

• P1070899.jpg
    P1070899.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 34
  • P1070900.jpg
    P1070900.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 27
What a good girl. She quickly figured out she was in chinnie heaven. Feisty is always better than depressed. I've had both with surrenders and the depressed ones are the saddest.

hi, i am new here, but i have been on this site a zillion times before, never posted til now. i too just rescued a chin with problems as well. i just got him last night n as i was getting his cage set up i noticed his lip looked kinda funny,almost cleft like. i got him to stand on his hind legs n sure enough, my heart sunk to the floor!! his two front teeth are so long,they look terrible! omg i cant believe this, i was told his teeth were fine n he was in great health! i get him skinny and scraggely also! unbelievable, my heart just aches so much. he too needs a nice name as well, unfourtanely i have to wait til monday for a vet, but he is def.going ASAP. ive never had a tooth issue before with any of my chinnies n im worried for him. is there hope for him? do u think he will be ok? i hope its not too late for him.what will happen to him? im scared.

Back