Preferred Bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What bedding do you use?

• Carefresh

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Aspen

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Fleece

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Yeserdays News

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters
H

hedgepig

What bedding do you use and why? If you choose "other" please specify! :thumbsup:

Personally, I LOVE Fleece Liners(especially made by Nancy!) For one, Hotdog seemed to be walking a little stiff while on Carefresh and it didn't take long after the switch to liners for her to get back to normal. This probably becuase liners are so flat compared to Carefresh and most other beddings that it starts to hav an effect on how they walk.

I also like how soft the liners are and I think that Hotdog feels MUCH more comfortable on them. On Carefresh, she would almost never go to the bathroom in her cage. Only on her playroom floor. Now it is totally different as she will go in her cage any time she wiches.

There are a thousand other reasons I love liners but I think these are some of the most important ones as far as the hedgehog's health and happiness.

I use aspen or kiln dried pine. I would like to use liners, but it gets hard will all my hedgies and I'm unable to use it with preggy and nursing moms.

Liners are the best by far. We have 31 adult hedgehogs at the moment, and all are on liners except for the soon to be delivering moms and babies.

I use a vellux blanket, cut to size, as a liner for my little one. It's held up well and is very lightweight and easy to clean.

A note of caution: I would not recommend this type of liner for hedgies who try to dig through their liners> If they dig, the mesh inner will be exposed (a possible hedgie-hazard). But since mine just likes to walk over to the edge and scoot herself under to use it as a blanket, it works just fine for her.

I use 100% cotton corduroy with a layer of fleece in between. Poo doesn't stick as bad due to the corduroy ridges and it soaks up pee better than fleece. The layer of batting is to provide padding for little feet.

I first used aspen bedding with Annie, but recently switched to using a fleece liner on the bottom of her cage. It is SO nice and easy to keep her cage clean, I don't have bedding pieces all over my floor, and it seems like a much cleaner option for her. She no longer has bedding pieces stuck between her quills from burrowing in it, and I think she seems more active inside her cage.

I voted other.....
I used to use Aspen because my boys liked to dig in it, but after a possible mite outbreak I stopped(dusty and shavings in my carpet too). Now I use old t-shirts to line the bottom of the cage. My hog is litter trained and has a pan with paper towels to potty in so it works just fine. T-shirts arent as nice as liners but they work for me.

I use aspen, my little girl lkes burrowing in it, so as long as she's happy, I am too! ^^

I mainly use the corduroy liners I was lucky enough to get from Sherry Songhurst. Sometimes, though, I use no-pill fleece when the liners are still in the washer/dryer (or just haven't been through the laundry yet). Liners in general are *soooo* much easier to deal with than shavings or Carefresh. That, and neither of my hedgies are/were diggers.

As I don't have a litter box, I do put LM Animal Farms paper cage liners under my hedgie's wheel to keep the cage a little cleaner. I can just pick up the paper with the poo and pee on it, and the liner stays pretty clean and dry.

---Lisa Ann

I like the fleece to because they are cheaper in the long run... I was spending $40-50 a month on bedding because I was paranoid about mold and stuff growing in the bedding. I was changing the bedding out every few days and it started to add up really quickly. Now, with the fleece liners, I can change them every other day and it costs me nothing except laundry fees.

I had been using carefresh and they always seemed to be eating it. Then switched to
Aspen--and again they (all 3 chins) got to eating it. So i've always used baby
changing pads in their carriers and they don't chew on it---and so now they have
the pads in the cages and it's working fine. I buy them at Target and cut them in half;
then sew the edge. I will always keep an eye out though for chewing though; even
though i've never seen any of them chew on edges. I fold the pad in half and put in the
corner the potty bowl always was. I use a med-to small trash can to put dirty in until
wash. I sometimes add new one twice a day; at least once a day.

I use fleece for the winter and cotten for the summer. Well actually one side of the liner is fleece the other is cotten. So all i do is flip it over deepending on the season. As for litter i like aspen pellets and so does dante. I like them becouse you get a nice woody smell like you wood with wood shavings but you dont have to worrie about things in it so much as yesterdaynews. Plus i like the color better and when i go to petsmart i get a better deal on it then yesterday news.

I use pine bedding. I'm actually thinking of switching to liners...(no shavings on the carpet!!) but my hedgehogs really like playing with pine and I don't know how my Mom would feel about me washing the liners in the washing machine...so we'll see.

Back