I must be the only person who can't heat my cage correctly

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinny

I have had a hedge before and had heating issues. I am now getting one again and before I pick it up I wanted to run a set up to make sure everything was working and it would heat right.
I have done my research before and now and have the ceramic heat emitter. I have a tub that is 15 by 27. While I know this is right at meeting the criteria of space the hedges is a baby and I am planning on changing it out but need to practice on one. I have it going and I have the regulator set at like 77. It stays on constantly and won't turn off. I finally moved the little thermometer reader at the end of the regulator close to the bulb and it finally clicked off. This is a plastic tub and everyone else seems to have an open cage style that would be open to drafts and air and they can keep it heated. Why can't i?? I am so frustrated. I know some people keep their houses warmer and I know ours is pretty low like 69 67 so it will be harder but I should be able to reach the heat level needed. Should I get another CHE or....???? Please help!!!

First thoughts are perhaps the wattage of the CHE is too low, the dome lamp in which the CHE is too small (10" domes seem to spread the heat the best), that there may be a draft where the cage is, and/or that the cage isn't insulated. Despite using cage that have wire tops and sides, I do make sure that there's a layer of insulation (usually a towel or blanket) underneath them so that hedgie's floor remains warm.

Back