chinchilla droppings?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiniiBamBam

Keeper of BamBam :D
okay so im am wondering if its a health hazard for me and my family to allow my chinchilla out and play because he poops everywhere. i let him run around im my room and he gets up on my bed and poops up there too he literally poops everywhere!! how unsanitary is their poop? is it a health risk for me to be laying on my bed where the poop was? do i have to wash all the blankets and everything everytime i let him out to play? how should i properly clean up after him?!?!PLEASE HELP MEE!! :wacko:

In my experience their poop is pretty benign. We've got three chinchillas and find poop in every possible place imaginable, in our bed, under the bed, in the bathroom, living room, etc.

From what I can tell it isn't a health hazard at all. The poop is dry, so it doesn't seem to transfer bacteria as well as poop of other species. The best way to clean up poop is vacuum it up after playtime. You don't have to wash your sheets and blankets just because a chinchilla pooped on them.

Hope that helps.

okay thank you, im not to worried about it but it really makes my mom mad because she is like a health freak, she got mad because i was using the vacuum for his poop and told me how it was unsanitary and it didnt make since to me. im just hoping to hear/find somthing that i can tell my mom to that wont make her freak out about it as muchhh

Ha, yeah, that's good. I use our vacuum primarily for chinchilla clean up, like every day, lol. I've never had issues with them or their poop smelling, and their urine doesn't even smell (although once it soaks into bedding or fleece and sticks around for a while, it has a slight smell). They really are amazingly clean and sanitary creatures (that incidentally loooove making messes).

If chin poo were a hazard to humans or other pets, most of the people on this forum would be sick and/or have a long list of deceased pets waiting at the Rainbow Bridge. There's nothing toxic about it unless you've got a grass/hay allergy, and even then you'd pretty much have to inject it to cause a problem. I can think of at least 3 dogs off the top of my head that clean poo off the floor of their respective owners' chin rooms to no ill effects. My cat actually likes to chase them when one of the chins kicks poo out of the cage. If your mother is concerned about the mess, a plastic chair mat under the cage will catch most of the stuff they kick. The mat makes it easier to sweep up too.

All i can think is they eat hay, food and wood, then their poo is solid so i wouldnt think its bad. My mom goes mad to find it behind the sofa but i say atleast its easy to clean :D

With only 2 chins, really all you would need to do is get a sturdy hand vac just for the chins and use it once (or twice) per day to keep your mom happy. I would not worry about any health risks as mentioned above. I pick up the poo with a paper towel when some drops on a couch or chair... :)

Oh the joys of chin guardianship....

I'm pretty immature and have thrown chin poop at my children to get their attention! lol. In the years I've had my chin, no one has gotten sick from chin poop.

Chin response

I believe chinchilla poop is not a health hazard thing cause every time I clean my chins cage, I pick up her turds with my hands and plus chins eat there own turds for calcium so I don't think it will harm anyone. :hmm:

Back