Bonding with a hedgie?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreachristinexx

Well, today I got my first hedgehog named Alaska! I fell in love with her the moment I picked her up from the breeder. I let her sleep for the rest of the day after I brought her home. Around 9 ish she woke up and started exploring and I went to pick her up and of course she balled since she's shy, and I put her on my tummy to see it she would cuddle. I've read cuddling will help her get used to my smell and be comfortable with me but she immediately started roaming around and it's so hard to keep track of only a 3 month old baby. I'm not really sure how to get her to cuddle or if she wants to! I would really appreciate se advice from some experienced hedgie owners about how to bond with a hedgie, I really want to bond with her and have her like me!

Scooping her up for snuggle time on your belly is exactly what I'd be doing. You're definitely on the right track. Keep watching where she roams to, so she doesn't scoot away. You could put her on your belly under your shirt - many hedgies like being covered. I had one, and currently have one, who actively sought/seek the edges of my shirt out so they can nose under it and nap underneath.

One caution though - as a baby, they are poop machines. So watch out for when her little tail pops up. That's the step immediately before going potty.

Back