Bad allergies - wanting a chinchilla - dust bath idea

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheechyk

AND I was wondering if there is a breeder or someone I can talk to on here about if I was to get a chinchilla could I put the dust bath container and the chinchilla in a Huge box and the where it can have the dust bath in .
So it will not go anywhere . I will not breathe it . And I have read that u can brush them after they have their bath .

Will that be a good idea?

Is their any other options that I can work around by having one ?

You can't brush a chin. If you do, you will pull all their fur out. People with allergies have mentioned that they dust bathe their chins in the bathtub and then just rinse it away. Not real sure how that works for them. For me, I have asthma. I wear a mask when I dust and leave the room until it settles, then come in and shop vac or sweep the dust up with a damp broom.

I suppose you could do as you were thinking, but it would probably be a lot less hassle to just buy one of those plastic dust bath houses - http://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Chinchilla-Bath-House-Colors/dp/B0002AS5M8/.

wheels and interest about o

I want everything to be right before i purchase or think about getting a chinchilla.
So do you. Use wheels ?
Whats the best food ?,and thanks for replying on my comment.
I have read some about them .
Can u have two males ? Or no ?
I dont want to get sprayed . By the females ?
Do the chinchillas stink? How often do you
Clean the cage . And they get dust baths 2x a week right ? Please correct me if im wrong ..thanks

You can brush before a bath but not after- it would catch on the dust and pull their fur. But it wouldn't help your allergies. A lot of people throw a sheet over the cage when dusting. The bathtub sounds like a pretty good idea though. It would give them a chance to shake some of it off to. My older boy prefers not to shake right away and will just go sit for a few hours letting it soak in. When he does eventually shake a big puff cloud comes off. So it might depend on the chin. A sheet contains it to the cage at least and you can leave it on for awhile until it settles. (Maybe the one downside to the bathtub is that a fair amount could get in the air.) And if you are really allergic an air purifier wouldn't hurt.

You may want to visit someone who has a chin and determine what your are allergic to. Could be the dust, hay, bedding.... That way you know what to adjust. It's not always the dust that's the issue

Back