How cold is too cold?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chinzilla

I hear a lot about not letting a chin overheat, but how cold is too cold for a chin? Recently we've been having problems with our gas heater and radiator units. We live in Jersey and it's been pretty freezing in our apartment lately. To keep ourselves and the chins comfortable, we have electric heater units with thermostats that regulate their functioning. I'm still left wondering, though, what's the coldest temp that is still safe?

I wouldnt go under 50...a few years ago I had chins in 55* temps, they loved it...seemed more active actually. Probably to keep their body heat up too.

So long as they are not in a draft, they can withstand very, very cold temps. -30 to 90F in one study.

They're very active at 40 degrees and warmer. Cooler and you'll probably want a box for them. Some of the old retired guys said that they kept their pelters at 40 to encourage a thicker pelt. That room would be too cold for me to work in for long... brrr!

I keep my room at 60 to 65 during the summer, but this winter I've dipped in the 50's and they have been fine. Leaping all over their cages and having a good time.

I agree with Tara. Keep them out of drafts and give them a box to huddle in and they can withstand some pretty cool temps.

Thanks for the good info! We've definitely been trying to keep them out of any drafts.

My boys seem to go crazy the cooler it gets. As I'm a desert dweller (Phoenix), it never gets extremely cold, but I've noticed that if I need my furry house coat and blanket to watch tv, the boys act like they have ADHD or something. I've had to let them out for seconds when it comes to play time otherwise I'll go nuts with all the squeaking, cage biting and general mayhem (like cage renovations, throwing sticks and dumping food dishes). As if an hour a day isn't enough for them!!!!

id say nothing under like 50 to me i personally think thats to cold i would rather it be like 55 but im sure they will be fine at 50

I wouldn't want to go lower than 50. Right now we are keeping the chin area at around 62 and they love it.

I had wondered the same thing, because the heat is not on in my room (the heater is broke. The heaters in the room nextdoor work though, and that keeps it warm enough). It has to be in the low 60s, and I was concerned at first....but the chins seem to love it.

I figure now, if it isn't too cold for me. It won't be too cold for them. lol

Back