Bonded Pair Passing- Cage alterations??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Up_Sunshine

Chinnie Paparazzi
To break down our situation:
I've had a previously bonded pair for 6.5yrs and back in July I lost one of my boys about 2 weeks before I had to move. Things have settled now and my remaining boy, Riku was never really the affectionate type, but I've been monitoring him for any serious changes or signs of lonliness.

Riku has always been pretty adventurous and has seemed generally resilient although there are some behavior changes. Riku was never particularly treat motivated and took to his wheel immediately but has since shown the reverse where he isn't interested in his wheel much, but has taken to just sort of lazing about the cage sometimes even on the floor and is super motivated by rosehips and other chin safe treats. He eats frequently, has great poops, and has just barely become more affectionate coming up for scritches maybe once a day for a few seconds. Playtime has never been an option for us really, particularly because he has always been reticent about humans due to his previous history before I got him and doesn't re-enter his cage easily which is stressful for us both.

I'm actually wondering if maybe his cage is just too spacious for him without his brother.

Has anyone else downsized and found that the increased nooks and crannies of a small space make their now single chin feel safer?

Most chins enjoy as much room as possible, but others do rely on having a buddy to reassure them everything is ok to explore. If he isn't using the whole cage anymore I would try downsizing the cage size and see how that does for him. Also try rearranging things, add tunnels and other things to explore so the cage seems new. If the cage is exactly how it was before his brother died it could still be affecting him, like staying in the same house after a loved one dies. Everything is the same except they are no longer there, and it can make getting over the loss that much harder.

Have you considered getting him a friend? I really feel chins do best with a friend. Maybe not all chins like a friend but most of the fosters I have had all enjoyed having another chin in the cage or at lease in the cage next to them. I have a female now that was grumpy and I put her alone but next to another female they are sleeping next to each other but in different cages.

If I were you I would look at contacting a rescue and see if you can find him a friend. Yes Chins can be scared to explore if they are alone.

Back