Stray cat chaos!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newt

So my neighbourhood is overflowing with cats, mostly without collars, so it's hard to know which ones have owners and which ones don't.

Well two for certain don't... my husband and I refer to them as "Trashy" and "Bally". "Trashy" because he always sleeps on our recycle bin at night, and "Bally" because he has large...errr... well, I'm sure you get the picture. heheh.

Anyways, it became apparent that Trashy and Bally were owner-less, free-ranging strays, as we watched as they got skinnier and skinnier. I knew something had to be done, so, of course I started feeding them.

They're a decent size now, though they hate each other so they fight all the time (we have to keep them separate at food time).

Last week I noticed Bally having difficulty eating. He was just licking the food and drooling. I sidled up to him slowly (they both run if you approach too fast), and found a HUGE lump on his neck. I prodded it gently... and get this... it BURST!! ARGH!!

It was a massive abscess full of blood and pus, which literally drained out of his neck all over his chest (and my hands) ARGH AGAIN!!

We rushed him to the vet, where the poor cat had to be anesthetized to have the big hole cleaned out. Yak!

We also got the vet to chop off the very appendages for which he was named as well. We still call him Bally now, but "No-Bally" would be more appropriate heheheh

Next month (after next payday, lol) Trashy has a date with the same vet :)

Maybe they won't fight so much, once all the testosterone has worn off!!

Thanks for reading!!

Good on you for getting them fixed up! It will likely settle them down though they will still protect your house from other cats so I'm sure you'll still hill a fight from time to time.

They are lovely boys; if I am quiet and not too fast, they will let me pet them heaps. They really deserve some TLC :)

Bally's neck hole is just about all healed up now, with no signs of reinfection, which is awesome. I left the cat carrier cage (I had a cat, Bogey-man, years ago, so still had his carrier) outside, and put an old woolly blanket inside, and Bally has moved in!! He sleeps there most nights now. Trashy was pretty jealous, and wanted to try being flatmates with Bally, but Bally was having none of it. He's heaps stronger now (has gained half a kilo in 10 days, lol), so easily stopped Trashy from getting in.
I mentioned it to my neighbour (we walk together for exercise), and she kindly donated a nice cat basket to Trashy, as her own cat doesn't like it and won't go in it. So now Trashy has a nice bed as well. It's a bit more drafty than Bally's bed, but still an improvement over sleeping atop a recycle bin, heheh.

Gotta get some pictures :)

Back