Butt Shaking?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabbygirl

My little boy Harold(almost 1 year old now!) has been shaking his butt weirdly when I let him out for playtime. He's been doing it for a while now, and since I adopted him from a bit of a shady situation, I'm not sure how at risk he is for WHS. I'm a bit concerned and planning on taking him to vet soon for his 1 year checkup. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior in their hedgies, and it's normal weirdness, or if I should be concerned. He seems to only do it when he's been out for a while, and shows no other signs of being sick. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

It depends how he is shaking. It could be WHS (is he tipping or limping, does he stagger when he walks?) or it could be recovery from hibernation (is he ever cold when you pick him up) or it could be that he is simply stretching his male parts (especially at that age, this is a likely option). If this last scenario is the case, this is normal male behavior. If you can peak underneath him, you will see him stretching (penis should come out beyond the usual sheath). Hopefully that is what is going on. A vet check is a good idea in any case.

He doesn't like for me to touch his tummy, so it's hard to see what he's doing under there. I also keep my room really warm, since I hate the cold, and I know he's never gone into hibernation. (At least since I've had him). It's not a limp or a stagger, but a bit like a strut. I would compare it to a little kid pretending to shake their bums like a model. When I interact with him while he's doing it, he'll stop, so maybe it is just normal boy stuff.

Back