Chins + rats = not a good idea

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilyLiliLove

SassyChinchillasRescue
I had rescued 2 rats that were in a bad home. i thought they could get along with my chin. I was sadly wrong. the one attacked my chin. nothing happened except my chin sprained her shoulder and got scratched. i was scared because for the next week she wouldn't move much but i knew she was eating and drinking. she would also let me hold her for hours a day, not normal for her. She quickly recovered though and nothing is wrong now. It was heartbreaking and i feel like a bad chin parent but now she seems to love me more than she used to. she loves to cuddle with me and popcorns when i pet her, she didn't do this before either. I love all my babies. I don't want to hear that i am a bad person!!

My Babies:

Degus: Lily,Rose
Hamsters: Nibbler,Who,Serenity
Chinchillas: Sassy,Sky,Batman,Pepper,Jekyll,Hyde

This is one of the many reasons why I never recommend two different species (namely small animals) be allowed to interact/play together. Glad your chin recovered from her injuries.

I know wild rats will attack and kill chins which is why we use measures to keep them off our property.

I'm glad your chin is ok!

You're not a bad mom, it was an accident.. and it's good to inform others so they won't make the same mistake. :)

You aren't a bad owner, just lack of proper knowledge, you may have found out the hard way but now you know and luckily the chin is ok. At least you have the fact that you didn't know on your side, there are a lot of people that have been told (from other people and even pet stores) it's fine to house chins with other animals, rabbits and and degus to name a couple. It's not fine or safe, especially with rodents like mice and rats, they are omnivores, meaning they can and do eat meat too. With rabbits for example, the rabbit can kill the chin by accident with one kick, as well as they can carry a bacteria disease, without showing symptoms themselves, that is deadly to chins.

You aren't a bad owner, just lack of proper knowledge, you may have found out the hard way but now you know and luckily the chin is ok. At least you have the fact that you didn't know on your side, there are a lot of people that have been told (from other people and even pet stores) it's fine to house chins with other animals, rabbits and and degus to name a couple. It's not fine or safe, especially with rodents like mice and rats, they are omnivores, meaning they can and do eat meat too. With rabbits for example, the rabbit can kill the chin by accident with one kick, as well as they can carry a bacteria disease, without showing symptoms themselves, that is deadly to chins.

i did get rid of the rats that night. I know a lady who takes in pets that need a new home. I will NEVER do that again.
I do own Degus though and all of my chins and the degus LOVE each other. they actually play together :)

Back