Excessive Bar Chewing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovelywhiskers

So recently I got a new cage for my girls (3 chins), hoping this would limit their bar chewing. Thinking it would give them more space, less stress, just overall more room. But the bar chewing hasn't stopped. I was told it was to do with stress, and not enough toys.

But I always spend so much on them every month on toys, and trying to make them happy. They got plenty of willow sticks for them to chew, and I also got them kiwi that apparently they are nuts for. I also got them custom chinchilla toys which are on chains, and other toys as well from chinchillas2shop.

I was also told they don't need so much time outside of the cage. I get them into a routine and get them out every other day for 20-30mins. I used to take them out for 45-1hr before I was told to reduce my time. They usually have a bath during playtime about 3 times a week. If I take them out too long they start to chew up the bathroom. And my 1 chinchilla gets too tired, and which can cause her to have a seizure. I'm thinking of not taking them out anymore or rarely taking them out. Might make them think they won't be coming out. I don't like this idea, but might have to do this.

I've had 4 females all chewed the bars, 2 males where 1 chews bars, other one hasn't yet. I give these chinchillas everything, I buy them tons of toys. And I even change up the toys so they won't get bored of the same old ones. I've owned chinchillas for roughly 2 years and I can never solve why they bite the bars so much. I would like for them to stop as I can not move them into another room, because I live with smokers.

Anyone else deal with this, and what ways could help me solve this?

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my chinchilla. She grew out of it though. How old are they? If their young it could just be a phase.

The one who does it the most is nearly a year (9 Months). But the other 2 chins are over 2 years old. And how old was your chin before he stopped biting the bars?

Some chins just always chew and shake the bars, it is their way of getting attention. If you are reacting to it, they are getting exactly what they want! :)

I know it is hard to ignore as I have one chin that I give an apple stick to every time she does it, I know I have reinforced her behavior but she is just so adorably obnoxious I just can't help myself!

The ones I have ignored typically stop after a period of no response.

I can try to ignore, but honestly sitting in the same room with them chewing at the bars one by one can get annoying listening to it for hours. I sometimes go up to their cage and make them chew a stick, but if I stop holding it they will drop it and go back to chewing the bars again. Umm not sure what to do. Lol.

Does bitterapple help for this situation or does that effect chinchillas? For people who don't know what that is. It's something you put on furniture or pets themself to get them to stop chewing something. They don't like the taste. Mainly used for dogs.

Just notice they do this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bitter-Apple-For-Small-Animals/dp/B0006G5RDI

Last edited:
I'm so thankful my chin doesn't do this, I had a hamster that was an excessive bar chewer! I reduced it by blocking the bars as much as possible. I had accessories all in a circle surrounding the cage lol

The bitter apple did not work for me, it made them chew even more. They actually liked the flavor of it.

Mine is a little over 1 year old, and he does this quite a bit, and it's actually confined to one area of his cage. He will sit on the shelf that looks out toward the living room ( his house is in the bedroom so he has cool / quiet during the day)

I take him out almost every evening and let him prance about my bedroom.
He resides in a two tier ferret nation castle with an entire toy bin of sticks in every flavor, wood blocks, and three bobbles of chewie blocks hanging about.
Occasionally I hide Oaties in his hidey huts and on ledges just to keep things interesting.
Plus he has access to TV in the evenings.

I am hoping it is a just a cage chewy phase since our boys are the same age.
:-/

I hate to think he is bored or upset.

Darn these little guys
and the way they can pull your heartstrings!
Haha

My boy Martin does this, he is only about 4 months old. I have had him about a month, and at first he wouldn't chew on anything, no shelves no chew toys, not even his lava ledge, so we traded the girls tube and gave his lava ledge to them. Now recently I have notice martin chewing on ledges and his toys a bit more. Not much and he still chews on bars, I had baby female who did this as well. It must be since they are still quite young

:biglaugh: luckly when my chin does chew on bars, it means he finished the food or water, hes like "FOOD omm nom nomm" *chews on bars" :laughitup:

:youman:

Back