Very angry chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orbby

About two months ago I took in two more chins, a male and female (Female from a breeder, male is a petshop pet). I was so excited because the female was my first chocolate chin. They both seemed super sweet during the car ride home and even the first evening but days later the female became more and more aggressive to me. I couldn't even touch the male without her rampaging through the cage and when I separated them, she still was aggressive.

I thought this aggression was just over the cage and her cage mate but she will attack me anywhere. She bites for blood and while I wear leather gloves to handle her, she will dive bomb and bite my arm while i'm reaching in to feed them. She has bitten through my thumb nail, bruised and bloodied my arm while trying to feed her and will bite like crazy when I have the gloves on.

I have tried everything. I don't corner her (The best I can), I don't put her down when she bites and ignore it, I try to feed her by hand to gain trust but she won't eat it (I mean nothing, not even the tastiest snack), The only "Punishment" i've given her was a me blowing in her face to make her let go of my thumb and that's it. I've tried to pair her with another chin but she's attacked and drawn blood so i've given up on that.
She acts like she wants to be pet and loved on, sits at the cage bars waiting for me but when I try to, she'll bite me and not like she's looking for a snack like my other chins.

I'm at wits end here, I've had chins for over 12 years now and this is all a first for me. I feel like she was abused or something with the way she acts. Does anyone have any ideas or will she just be a forever biting chin?

I'm sorry you are going through this.

I myself & dealing with my chinchilla being super aggressive all of a sudden now for almost a month now. He's out for blood when he bites as well. I can barely handle him without him charging at me to attack. It's only one I have & I've had him for almost 10 years. He recently had an ear infection & because I had to force feed him that might be why he hates me now, but a few weeks after he got better he was still fine with me.

I wish our chins could tell us what's wrong so we can fix it! haha.
But I've just been talking to him through his cage, sneak my hand in there carry to pet him for a second or two & just give him space. I wish I could offer better advice but good luck. I'm rooting for you!

I was just about to post on your thread. If I find out what to do about her aggression before you find out yours, I'll let you know what I did. As of now, she is still the same. Still attacking me and anyone else on sight.
Maybe they both seriously suffer from anxiety and are just terrified now which is really sad to think of.
I'm really sorry you're going through this too and to have had him so long i'm sure makes it that much more painful for you to see. I have my fingers crossed for you, I hope you find a fix for him even if it's just a tiny one.

Your female has been with a male for 2 months or more?

Hormones can make a pregnant female crazy. Just saying. That is my guess. it can take 112 for a chin to give birth.

Back