About to give up on grouchy baby

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillybug29

Hi guys. I'm getting really frustrated. I got a little cinnacot girl at the end of September. I've been working with her since then to get her socialized and it's not working at all. Her quilling was agonizing, so I'd give her lukewarm oatmeal baths and drop a little oatmeal and jasmine oil on her to help out. After she was done quilling, she seemed to calm down a little and would let me hold her and rub her belly a little without hissing and popping. She is getting worse now. For a while, I thought she was starting to hibernate, because she'd go a day or two without playing on her wheel or anything. (my house is set at 74 degrees, so I know she isn't cold). I'm getting so upset with her popping and not letting me touch her, I'm about to give up. I've tried everything and done extensive research on how to hold her and get her used to me. I've done the shirt in bed thing, I've taken her out every day to get used to me for an hour, I've done the snacks when I take her out; none of it works. Now she is starting to bite occasionally when I hold her. Does anyone have any ideas? I still love her to death and giggle at her antics, but I want to be able to handle her without her being so distressed the entire time.

My personal suggestions (please do not quote me directly because I am still a new owner myself) but 1, check to see if there isn't anything bothering her, injuries, internal distress, etc. But I would have to say, time. All hedgehogs are different and have different personalities. My hedgie took about 3 weeks to warm up to me, but I know to only Handel him when he wakes up on his own, if I wake him.. Game over.

But patience, eventually she will warm up, possibly let her continue to get use to the surroundings by herself then integrate yourself into the picture.

Well, not all hedgies like to be touched. Many do, but some don't ever warm to it. That said, 74 F is usually warm enough but not always. My smaller female needs at least 77F. Perhaps it isn't warm enough for her. You could consider providing a heating source just for her area (oil heater or heat emitter just for an extra boost). First thing is to make sure they are very comfortable in their own home. Does she eat on the days when she doesn't come out or go on her wheel? Is there something scaring her at night? Strange noises, other animals? Is she in a quiet area of your house or a high volume area? Sometimes they need to be in a quiet area so that they feel safe in their home first.

If she had a particularly hard quilling, she may prefer not to be touched for a long time, if ever. Patience is key, as well as acceptance of course. Offer her other ways to interact with you (a play pen where she can explore, PVC tubes for her to explore with treats in different areas). She may eventually warm up. But first check her home, make sure she is comfortable there at all times of the day. It sounds like something at night is bugging her (heat, noise, light...??).

She seems very comfortable in her home now. I left her alone for about a week to see if that helped. She started to come out regularly and is now running on the wheel. She eats a lot now and has gained weight fine. She loves her hedgie bag I made for her and crawls in it when I put it out or her. I got a little playpen for her and she was in it for about an hour yesterday. She just picked it up with her nose and tried to move it. After a while she gave up and just crawled under the towel the pen was on. While I watched her she wouldn't move, but if I was around the corner she was running all around. The hard part is that she used to sleep on me and would take mealies from my fingers only (of they were on the ground she wouldn't eat them). She just changed so much and it kills me. She seems great in her cage though. Plays fine and eats a lot (I found she picks out the cat fod from the mix of hedgie and cat food, too cute). I'm just at a loss of what to do. :(

She sounds like quite a smartie - picking out the cat kibbles and leaving the hedgie kibble.

Satin was a lot like how you describe in terms of if she knows you're watching her in her cage, she'd freeze in position. I used to slowly crawl across the floor in the semi-dark to watch her play. Mostly, she'd "catch me" in the act and freeze. But, sometimes, she'd be so lost in play that she kept going.

I'm sorry she felt/feels grumpy with quilling and afterward. I'd consider bumping her heat a little. My Satin needed a minimum of 76. Tex seems to like it warmer too.

And I'd go ahead and snuggle with her on her terms. Seeing as how she loves her hedgiebag, I'd take both... wait... what's her name?? Anyway, I'd take her and her hedgiebag out and let her snuggle in her hedgiebag on you. Perhaps with the security of her hedgiebag, she'll poke a nose out and take mealies from you once again. Try it for a couple weeks and see what comes of it.

Khaki is her name. I took her out in her bag last night and laid her on my chest and hummed to her. I think she was just sleeping; she wouldn't huff unless I moved. Right this second she's actually asleep on my chest. Too adorable all curled up. She took some mealies from me today among much huffing and clicking, but it's progress. Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going to see what I can do. Do you guys have an idea on where to get a heating pad that doesn't turn off??

Yes, Khaki is quite a little smartie pants. The first day I got her she was cracking me up by cliff diving off her ledge in her cage. The whole picking out her food makes me giggle constantly. She knows what she likes!! :)

Thanks again guys, you've given me hope!!

Hey any updates on your hedgie? I have a 3month old with the same problem..

Sorry, I am just seeing this. She has good and grouchy days. I tell her she's being a grouchypants when she huffs. I can tell she trusts me more now, it's just little things. She will let me hold her and will lay on me for a hot minute before she's off exploring. When I'm next to her cage doing something she'll come to the edge and start sniffing and looking at me. She will run with her door open and the lights on. When she does huff at me, her quills are usually down and it's quiet. I tell her she's. It really mad, she just wants a mealie, and that she'll get one when she's nice. She knows shes pretty and will pose for the camera when I have it out. She's still grouchy compared to Mace, but I love her little 'tude. I have accepted she's not a cuddler and get my cuddle fix from Mace. I wuv her, but it took a lot of work to get us where we are. If I miss any days, she sure let's me know.

Back