Thistle: May 1, 2006 -March 31, 2011

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thistlesmom

My little Thistle passed away today, with the help of her vet and with me right there with her. I just got back from the vet and am a nightmare but thought writing about how much she was loved would help me.

I got Thistle from a pet store (yes, I know, bad) right as my best friend was moving out of our condo. She was the sweetest hedgehog from the get go, she was very affectionate and would run to me to cuddle. She definitely helped me in my transition to living alone (well, not alone...with no other humans). She loved running about in the park, kicking with me on the couch and luckily she hated mealworms (I dislike bugs). She was the greatest little friend and her presence helped me through so many difficult times, including a fairly major bout of depression and a move from Victoria to Edmonton for school. I can't even express how much I loved her.

As is well documented on this forum she had more than her fair share of health problems, having a leg amputated after months of trying to treat it, mrsa and 2 months ago a cancerous lump removed from her head. She took it all look an all star and even got famous by appearing in the book Feel Better, Little Buddy.

The last week has been agonizing for me trying to decide when it was time and I was hoping she'd pass on her own. She literally spent every minute with me when I was at home, and even slept in my bed (I know you guys will get this more than my mother who thinks I'm crazy) the past few nights. In the end the cancer had spread and she declined extremely quickly over the past 2 days.

I'm fairly certain I achieved a record for the most crying in a vet's office and I worry so much that she was scared or didn't know what was happening.

I really want to thank everyone who has given me advice or well wishes over the past few weeks. I didn't tell anyone what I was doing today, I had a midterm this morning and couldn't even think about it without crying let alone talk, so it was nice to be able to come here.

I feel like part of me is missing :(

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 26
I am so sorry you lost your Thistle. She sounds like she was a wonderful friend, and just know that she will always be with you and watching over you. From your post I can tell how much you loved her and I'm sure she knew that as she passed.

Rest in peace Thistle, you were a beautiful girl!

I'm sorry little Thistle had to go. She was a beautifully sweet hedgiegirl. And I'm sure she felt loved.

I'm very sorry you lost your special friend. :( Sounds like you had some great times together and Thistle was as much a comfort to you as you were to her. RIP Thistle <3

Im so sorry for your loss. She was a strong little lady. Hugs to you.

I'm so sorry. I started crying reading your post. It's incredibly hard to lose a pet but the happiness of having them wins out in the end.

You took care of her. Feel good about that.

I'm sorry for your loss. :flowers4: Thistle loved you and you loved her, she couldn't have had a better mom.

Thank you all so much. It means a lot to be able to come here and get such great support. I'm fairly certain my non pet owner friends think I'm crazy but Thistle was so much more than just a pet to me. I know you guys understand that.

Attachments

• 131761_482822243537_516733537_5748741_4156325_o.jpg
    131761_482822243537_516733537_5748741_4156325_o.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 14
Thistle was such a beautiful girl and you and she were such good friends. I'm sorry she lost her battle.

RIP beautiful little girl.

I am so very sorry. My first hedgehog, Quillson and I were like that. He saved my life more times than I can count and when he passed it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to experience.

She couldn't have asked for a better life and I'm sure she knew she was loved up until the last moment.

Sleep sweet, little one. <3

I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful little girl. You and she had something so special and it will continue forever. Rest well knowing how much you loved and cared for her. You have your own special angel now resting on your shoulder.

Back