Dry Cat Food List

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Reaper

This is the newest list. Updated 03/06/09 When choosing a food to add to your hedgies diet the first thing is to READ THE LABEL. It doesn't matter what the product is being marketed for (cat, dog, hedgehog, whatever) as long as it meets a hedgehogs nutritional requirements. To learn about food labels, ingredients, and a ton of hedgehog info Laura Ledet's Website http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/comemeetmyfamily/tableofcontents.html is one of the best on the internet. Once you have learned about hedgie diet needs, found a store that sells a product you think is great, bought the food and brought it home, and given it to your little bundle of quills.........your hedgie may refuse to eat it. All hedgies have different personalities and tastes. So in the end your hedgie will have a say in what food selections you make.
I created this list to help the "newbie" African hedgehog owner narrow down what dry cat foods meet hedgies nutritional requirements. With so many brands and formulas on the market finding ones for hedgies can be a tedious endeavor. I will continue to update the list from time to time as new foods become available and when old formulas change names or are reformulated.
I am a strong believer that a healthy diet prevents sickness and can extend our quilled friends lives.

Attachments

• Dry Cat Food List.2.0.doc
    45.5 KB · Views: 342
  • Dry Cat Food List.2.0.pdf
    49 KB · Views: 226
I checked out the food list and am just wondering...what makes the difference for the headings such as "These products use One Meat and One Meat Meal as their primary ingredients:"?
Which would be considered the best/healthiest?

Thanks,

There is debate over what is actually healthier. Meat is raw unprocessed meat just like it sounds. A "meal" is when the meat is cooked and the fat and oils drained off. So you can choose non processed meat or cooked and processed meal.

Trying to top my list, eh? :p

Yeah, I know your list over on HHC predates mine, though I didn't know about it when I created my list.

Nah it isn't a competition. I had the list on the CnQ site so figured I would put it back up. I try to keep it up to date but the more people reading labels and posting what they find helps out hedgies.

Yeah, I first posted mine over on HHW, then thought I'd post it here since they didn't have one.

Sooo I'm guessing Purina Pro Plan is NOT good for hedgehogs? Mika just ate maybe 2 or 3 of these pieces before I thought to look to see since they felt greasy in my hand.

so my cats are on ONE Advanced nutrition Hairball formula.
the only difference in guaranteed analysis between the hairball diet and one salmon diet is the crude fat and crude fiber.

also the ingredients are listed in different order and some omitted.
i think the hedgies im getting are on cat chow. is it hard to switch them?

any info is appreciated!

Cassie

On the site she also said something about feeding her hedgehog chicken or the occasional turkey or salmon. She also said something about feeding live insects. Is this really necessary or could a hedgehog be healthy without meat and insects and just a cat food mixture.

Back