R.I.P. Tonka, February 2006-November 2009

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanjelly

kayak queen...
My huffy little man, Tonka, passed away unexpectedly this morning. I found him unresponsive snuggled on top of his hedgie hat.

He was always huffy, but never mean. His curiosity always got the best of him and despite his own huffing and protests, he'd always come out to explore. He was a beautiful little man.

I have no idea what happened and it is heartbreaking. I noticed that his eating had slowed down within the past week or so, but I thought it was because we had guests this weekend that stayed in his room and maybe the disturbance had stressed him out. Everything else looked fine. When I found him, he had a small bit of blood on his nose and his eye looked a little bulged out. Everything was fine when I checked on him yesterday...I just can't come to terms with the fact this happened.

We buried him on the highest hill on our property, overlooking the valley.

You'll be missed, Tonka. I'm sure you'll have lots of friends to welcome you over the Rainbow Bridge.

015.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy and even those shy ones grab our hearts.

I've had several go quickly like that. Perhaps he had a tumour that popped and he bled out, perhaps a heart attack or stroke. At least it was quick and in the comfort of his own cage.

Hugs

I'm sorry about your little guy...I lost my first hedgie to a tumor a year and 1/2 ago- it really stinks even when they are sick and you can see it coming...not knowing is really hard. Take care...

R.I.P sweet Tonka.

Thanks for the support. I think it's even harder because I was so allergic to Tonka, I'm not going to get another one...I guess I just wish I would have known it was coming so soon.

I am so sorry for your loss. Poor boy. I agree with Nancy though, it was most likely quick, and he was in his home surrounded by his familiar things.

RIP little guy. :(

I'm so sorry. Tonka was absolutely gorgeous, and it's easy to see that he has a very special place in your heart.

Such a handsome little man! He knew how loved he was. He is in a grand place well and with many friends.

Such a beautiful guy. He was loved and he knew it. Best to pass away surrounded by things and a place where one feels comfortable. HUgs!

Thanks, everybody. It still seems so weird to not have my little "hot room" with the space heater going to keep Tonka nice and toasty. And so bizarre to not hear his wheel going at all hours of the night...

Back