Chewie for chin' supplies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsbuickman

Resident Hooligan on holi
Hiya Guy's :) ...
Wow, it's been several months or so since I checked in so I made it a point to get back on the board for a while :). Little miss Rain Chilla' is doing good & as of late I've been ordering a lot of chin' supplies from www.chewy.com . I don't know how many of y'all have looked into it or have been ordering from them yourselves but that's one of the reasons I decided to drop in and bring the subject up.

I recently rebuilt Rains cage with this 12" exercise wheel & these 2 toys as well as numerous different types of treats for her :) ...

https://www.chewy.com/kaytee-comfort-small-animal-exercise/dp/128990

https://www.chewy.com/kaytee-perfect-chews-chinchilla-toy/dp/166746

https://www.chewy.com/kaytee-nut-knot-nibbler-small-animal/dp/129031

Here's her current cage setup

Attachments

• tmp-cam-867449963.jpg
    tmp-cam-867449963.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 8
  • tmp-cam-1063252865.jpg
    tmp-cam-1063252865.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 7
  • tmp-cam-1408689720.jpg
    tmp-cam-1408689720.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 6
That wheel is not chin safe at all. A 12" wheel is way too small for a chinchilla, you want one ideally 15" or bigger otherwise the chin's back is bending backwards, which is unnatural. Over time the chin will develop back problems which can include the chin becoming paralyzed. Also the wheel is plastic, plastic is chewable but not digestible and could lead to a gut blockage if chewed and swallowed. Also the way that wheel is constructed the chin is going to hit it's back on the middle post, and/or chew it. Chins have ended up trapped under that wheel before due to chewing the middle post and it collapsed on top of them. Even if the wheel was big enough and you have an odd chin that doesn't chew things, the plastic on plastic rubbing creates plastic dust which the chin is then inhaling.

Chin safe wheels include the metal flying saucer, the chin spin, and the silver surfer. It's better to have no wheel then an unsafe one.

The nut toy you got is fine, minus the nut. Chins should not have nuts, they are way too high in fat. I realize it says it's for chins too, but honestly Kaytee doesn't care about animals, they just care about money, most of their stuff is not safe.

As for the cage, I would be worried about the chin getting her toes or legs caught in the metal bars of that ramp in there. But I know that was mentioned before, so I guess you aren't worried about that.

Actually I was pondering a couple of those points regarding this wheeel myself and I have already pulled it from the cage. Rain doesn't have any interest in it and hasn't even tried using it and I'm guessing it's because it's probably too small so it will be replaced with one of the 15 inch wheels.

As far as her cage goes I was planning on buying a critter Nation cage and putting in a bunch of Ledges for her to hop around on as well as an exercise will but then I got hit by someone that was texting or something while I was out on my motorcycle. I've been laid up for several months and will probably be laid up for a few more so in the time being I'm changing this one up to make it better for her since I haven't been able to get a critter Nations because I can't carry or move something like that yet. I've already eliminated the second floor and turned it into an upper level and lower level setup for more room because I'll be putting in several Ledges for her to hop around on like stair steps

I already pulled the ramp that went from the little Landing over her hidey hole up to the second level and replaced it with a ledge that she can hop on then hop to the second level from. Now I just need a few more ledges

Attachments

• tmp-cam-1805260993.jpg
    tmp-cam-1805260993.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 8
Alright,* the chinchilla ledges that I ordered came in.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Chinchil...rksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649#vi__app-cvip-panel

I had already removed the upper ramp that went from the deck over her hidey-hole up to the second floor and replaced it with a Ledge that she's already been using.* Now I pulled the lower ramp that went from the floor up to the deck over her hidey-hole and replaced it with two ledges,* then I used the other three Ledges across the back wall so she has two different ways to get up to the deck above her hidey-hole so she can get up to the second level. Now I'm just waiting for this exercise wheel that I ordered to replace the the other one .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O74S7I...colid=6K7699K3J83A&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm planning on ordering some additional Ledges and possibly a bridge because I have a few more ideas for them.

Attachments

• tmp-cam-1710719157.jpg
    tmp-cam-1710719157.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 7
  • tmp-cam-1273912940.jpg
    tmp-cam-1273912940.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I think Chewy.com is good for a few staples, like pellets and hay, although last two shipments I got were already turning brown :-( and just a few toys... with treats you've got to be careful and I agree with Amethyst that Kaytee stuff is more miss than hit as far as being safe or good for your chin. For exercise wheel I would recommend either the chin spin or the flying saucer, they are pricey but well worth it. Good luck with your recovery!

I've mostly been using chewy for supplies for my cat, and I have a Fred Meyer Supercenter and a Wally China Mart just up the street where I can pick up chilla' food & alfalfa. If I don't need to stop at Wally China Mart there's a Petco and a PetSmart just across the street from there, but chewy does have a better price on chilla' bath powder. I'm still waiting on a chinchilla exercise wheel. The angel wheel that I ordered from Heavenly chinchillas somehow got lost in the mail so they gave me a refund So I placed another order and for the hassle they're giving me some free chinchilla ledges for Rain's cage. I do need to do some research on them because the chinchilla Ledges that they have are made out of poplar instead of pine

Hiya Guys :) ...
I just got the Angel Chin' exercise wheel and just got it installed and ready to roll. I was going to talk about the wheel a little bit but for what it is I'd say they knocked it out of the park and I'll write up a separate review for it in a new thread. Thanks:)

Attachments

• tmp-cam-1163252481.jpg
    tmp-cam-1163252481.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 6
  • tmp-cam-172409669.jpg
    tmp-cam-172409669.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 5
  • tmp-cam-2145073101.jpg
    tmp-cam-2145073101.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 4
Hiya Guys :) . I got some 6" poplar ledges from heavenly chinchillas so I was able to eliminate all of the wire playpen panels and replace everything with ledges :) ...

Attachments

• tmp-cam-747669688.jpg
    tmp-cam-747669688.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 6
  • tmp-cam-1644612634.jpg
    tmp-cam-1644612634.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 5
Back