urine check

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicki

Can someone tell me what the variations in the color of urine would mean? For example light vs dark. Thanks.

the different colors show how much water the chin drinks (same as in humans) You do not want it to be a red/ really dark orange color because that shows that the chin is dehydrated. The color should be a light to mid orange color...may sometimes appear to be red depending on the surface...

Hope that helped!!! If you need more info just ask!!!:dance3:

the different colors show how much water the chin drinks (same as in humans) You do not want it to be a red/ really dark orange color because that shows that the chin is dehydrated. The color should be a light to mid orange color...may sometimes appear to be red depending on the surface...
Dark orange urine is not always a sign of dehydration - it can also be the result of eating bark/wood - apple wood bark is notorious for doing that. :)

Thank you both. Flea's pee was starting to look dark and I'm sure it was due to not enough water since she was getting over some trauma and not drinking on her own.

Dark orange urine is not always a sign of dehydration - it can also be the result of eating bark/wood - apple wood bark is notorious for doing that. :)

thanks!!! I didn't know that...hmmmm I just might go home with some apple branch treats and see for myself?!?!?

I wonder why the a.w. does that. Is it just/mainly that type of wood???:thinking:

sorry didn't catch the edit in time...

I also meant to say that if you think she isn't drinking enough a day, mark her water bottle (I usually do so with a piece of tape) each time you re-fill it so that you can keep track of it...

a dehydrated chin is no fun...:(

Back