Eye problems

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicchilla1

I am a first time chinchilla owner and have had my chinchilla Vic for about 7 months now and have had issues with his eye for the last 2 months or so. I’ve taken him to the vet twice and they have given me eye drops and said it should help and that they don’t believe it is an infection. They also checked his teeth since hey cause eye problems and said they were fine. The eyedrops do seem to help when he’s on them but once he’s off them it goes right back to it. The outer lining of his eye gets really red and sometimes little crusts form in his corners. Some days they look fine and others they look really bad or just one can look bad and the other looks fine. I’m not really sure what to do from here or if maybe he is allergic to something? Any help appreciated!

Sometimes you need to co a combination of eye drops and oral antibiotics. I usually do trimethoprim sulfa (cherry flavored) and tobramycin drops.

How did they check his teeth? The only wan to know for sure is to do x-rays. How old is Vic? If he's 8 months old, the chances of malo are slim, but if he's older it's possible that malo is happening. Also, did the vet stain his eye to check for an ulcer or corneal abrasion?

Can you ask your vet for a tear production test, my chin has little tear production in his left eye and I give him z drops to keep it lubricated and a humidifier.

Back