Not letting Chinchilla s out of the cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chin would go NUTS without getting out of her cage. She lives for it!! She gets at least an hour of out of cage time a day. On the rare occasions I don't have time to let her out she gets very angry. Also, her cage is well above average in size with lots to do in there. She's just a very active and hyper one!!

I think every chinchilla should have the option of getting out of their cage for at least 30 mins a day, they can take it or leave it!

Anddddddddd I just realized i already commented on this thread a while back lol I thought it was a new one....I just must feel strongly about playtime haha

Last edited:
One of my chins is always clawing to get out of the cage. When I have to put her back she climbs up my arm the other way. With five kids she gets plenty of out of cage time and loves it.

I'm not as experienced as others on this forum but I believe that chinchillas have such varied personalities and needs that out of cage time would depend upon this. My own chin is older and I believe has psychological issue. When I got him a year ago he was very skittish, kacked loudly every time I tried to touch him and was anxious and wary when I came near his cage. He also ran and hid every time I came into the room and engaged in barbering. In time this behavior lessened but he will resort back to it when his schedule changes (mostly due to my health issues)
I've learned from my vet that one important way to deal with psychological issues is plenty of exercise, being tired can calm the mind and lessen anxieties. My chin won't use a wheel so I need to give him lots of out of cage time to run. I wish he was more content in his cage because he's a heavy chewer and requires strict supervision while he's out.

LGarl what you are describing is normal for a chin. Some times they kack and act nuts. By you doing play time, you handled him more and he got used to you. It had nothing to do with the actual play time its self. If he needed extra exercise he would use the wheel. I have never met a chin who doesnt learn to use a wheel eventually.

I let mine out for the first time today he's like 8 years old but he's small for a chinchilla be care ful with closed doors, like mice they can go under them. Figured that out today.

Dreamlite, thanks for the input. My vet mentioned my chin could have psyc issues but it's wonderful to know that my chin's behavior is normal! I've been thinking about getting him a wheel. His previous owner said he won't use one but I would like to give him another shot at it. I've been researching types and sizes. My chin is 735 grams so I was thinking a 13 3/4" saucer might work good for him. Any advice for types and sizes? Thanks!

Last edited:
Make sure you get the metal flying saucer not a plastic one, but the standard (13 3/4") might be big enough, but even with my boys at around 600+ g they have a standard size but could use a large (15 3/4") Video here and here. The larger size just gives more running surface so they don't slide off, their paws are at the edge when they run but they rarely fall off (normally due to distraction or push each other off). Also the flying saucer does have a bit of a learning curve to it, it's not as simple as a drum style (silver surfer or chin spin type). Some chins get the hang of it within the first day, others get it over time and some never get the hang of it. My guys took to it within a day.

Thanks Amethyst! Those videos were helpful and the chins in them are beautiful. I'm thinking of the 15 3/4 size now just because my chin is supposed to be scared of the wheel and the larger size with more room might put him more at ease.

I was worried about this too, since my chinchilla has broken her leg. Usually I used to let her out everyday because I had read that was what you were supposed to do, but this really helps ease my mind keeping her in her cage during recovery!!

While your chin's leg is healing, it should not be encouraged to run at all. Running or jumping can cause problems with the healing. Until the leg has completely mended, the chin needs to be in a single level cage and no playtime.

I have three chins right now. One in a double level FN with a Silver Surfer, one in a guinea pig cage because he is old and doesn't have that good of balance, and one in a kaytee chinchilla/ferret cage.

Link, in the FN, gets mad at me if I put him back at all. Doesn't matter if I have him out for 30min or for 4 hours. And he gets out every night. He has a wheel.

Dusty, in the guinea pig cage, gets out almost every day. There are some times when he doesn't but makes me feel guilty. He's building up his time so he can gain strength in his legs and become healthy (I got him around a month ago). No wheel.

Ande, in the Kaytee, doesn't get out every night and doesn't have a wheel yet because she is a foster from my work at a shelter. She needs it but whenever I let her out into a playpen, she tries to escape. She DESPERATELY needs a wheel.

I like having my chins run around. I feel bad if they don't get out. If I didn't have to have them in a cage, I wouldn't.

These are so interesting to read. I actually started letting my little dude out after a couple of weeks. I sat with him in a small room for 30 mins every day. That's how we bonded.
He's going on 6 months now and he gets about 2 hours out every day in his chin-proof room. It doubles as my office and dressing room, so I'm in there for awhile anyway.
I'm getting him a wheel soon, but he likes to roam and wall surf so much! He gets stir crazy when I don't let him out, but it doesn't affect his appetite or playfulness.

Back