Hedgie Plans

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faint

I'm working with a small amount of money when I sell one of my reptiles, and am looking into buying a hoglet. I'm thinking about making a C&C cage since I'm on a budget. My price list for planned supplies so far is:
2 1/2 x 2 grids - ~20 $ (Are they hard to cut?)
2 Sheets of coroplast- 10$
Large comfort wheel ~20$
Food/Water Bowls- ~10$
Food ~20$?
Bedding or fleece- ~2$ dollarama
-------------------------
~85$
Hoglet itself ~150-200$

Any other DIY things? In reptiles theres a bunch of things you can use from the dollar store making their setup cheap and easy to replace, and tips and tricks for hedgies?
How long does a bag of cat food last them? Can you feed them wet food very often?

You'll need a hidey place like an igloo with fleece blankie or a hedgiebag.

As for kibble, find out what the breeder has been feeding the hoglet, so as not to make an abrupt change. Depending on what it is, you may or may not need to transition. In the end, you'll want a mix of at least two high quality cat kibbles. The bags will last a few months, so it's economical to get the high quality stuff.

Yes, many hedgies enjoy wet food as a treat. I'd suggest sticking with the same brand as the kibble. For example, blue buffalo make good kibble and wet food... As does wellness and a few others.

Seafood varieties are often enjoyed, but can lead to some stinkier poops.

Yup, my cat eats wellness wet food, and my sisters eats wellness dry so i have one good kind already at my disposal.
Is a 36"x24" give or take an inch or two big enough adult sized? I could try to squeeze a bit of overhang between the shelf posts, but that would take an inch or two off the 24"

One thing you can do is get all the supplies together that go in the cage (eg, food and water dishes, wheel, igloo or other hidey place), and take a look at how much space is left over for roaming around, going potty, etc...). If it looks like there's open space, you're good. Experience tells me that approx 36" x 24" should be fine. But always nice to see it for yourself before starting construction.

Nice that you already have Wellness on hand. One other kind and you should be all set.

Back